Monday, March 18, 2013

Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest, End of Blog Tour Thank-Yous + Announcements

Oh so many orders of business today! The Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest is below. But first, Announcements!!!

First off: Thankyou Thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou...a million times thank you to all those who participated in my Persistence of Vision blog tour. It's officially over! There may be a few later reviews and posts that we couldn't fit into the official tour, and I'll post them as they come, but the tour, for all intents and purposes, ended last week. The book is doing relatively well for a debut novel, and I know it's because so many supportive, enthusiastic bloggers were willing to feature me. So, thank you so much! I really appreciate it. More than I can say. Thank you. Thank you. Okay, one more time and I'll stop. THANK YOU!!!

Second: I just uploaded my first and only short story to Amazon for sale. It's a high fantasy story that concerns with dragons entitled The Hatching--A Short Story. It's actually a prequel to a WIP of mine which will be a high fantasy series. I don't expect the first volume to be out until sometime in 2014, but I wanted to upload the short story now. Partly just to do it, because I've never uploaded anything for sale to Amazon before, and partly because I had it, so I might as well get people reading it. If you have a moment, check it out. :D

And here are the latests signings and events for me. These are all available on my books site, as well (interchron.tateauthor.com). I also know that most of you are out of state, but if anyone's in Utah in or around these dates, PLEASE come see me. I'd love to meet you! :D
  1. Book Signing at The Wise Owl Bookery (4850 Harrison Blvd in Ogden, Utah) on March 23, 2013 from 12-2 pm.
  2. Signing at Hastings in Logan, Utah (50 E 400 N) on March 30, 2013 from 4-7 pm.
  3. Book Signing at Hastings (340 E 525 N, Ogden, Utah) on April 12 from 3-5 pm.
  4. Book Signing at Barnes and Noble in Layton, Utah (1780 Woodland Park Dr) on April 13, 2013 from 1-3 pm.
  5. Write for the Heights Literary Workshop at Whitmore Library in SLC, Utah (2197 Fort Union Boulevard). I'm a presenter for a workshop entitled Creating the Big Opening. 
  6. Speaking to Wasatch Writers (a chapter of the League of Utah Writers) about Traditional vs. Self-Publishing. This will be at the Clearfield, Utah library.

Finally, there are a couple of writing events/conferences coming up that will be awesome!

LDStorymaker's Conference
Dates: May 10-11, 2013
I haven't actually been to this one before but I've heard awesome things and I'm planning to attend this year. Should be great!
Details here: http://ldstorymakers.com/conferences/2013-conference/

Annual League of Utah Writer's Conference
Okay, this one won't be until September, but I LOVE this conference, so I thought it was worth mentioning! :D

Ten Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest



Welcome to the Top Ten Move Countdown Blogfest, hosted by Ninja Captain, Alex Cavanaugh!


This is so hard for me! SOOO many more than 10 favorite movies for me, but I'll do my best! Even though I have way more favorites than these, I tried to do a few fantasy, a few scifi, a few classics, a few historical. You get the idea.




10. Cheaper by the Dozen--I come from a family of ten kids, so this our family's motto movie. It's great, clean comedy and while everyone will find it funny, only those with large families will truly 'get' it.

9. Arthur--Hysterical. Classic. Family favorite. All kinds of quotable. Came out the year before I was born, believe it or not. If you haven't seen it, get you some Netflix and watch it!



8. Princess Bride--Who can resist this one?



7. Star Wars: A New Hope--Another classic but I grew up on this (didn't we all). When I was a kid, I called it Scar Wars, loved princess Leia's "long braid" at the end and would often wake up in the middle of the night, stumble to the clunky VCR, and turn on this movie. My dad always had to come get me and make me go back to bed. ;D



6. Star Trek: First Contact--I was a huge TNG fan, and this installment was, in my humble opinion, the best in the franchise.


5. The Avengers--very recent, I know, but this one's mostly symbolic for me. Ever since Toby McGuire appeared as spiderman and started the super hero movie craze, I've loved almost every superhero franchise (including this one). This film has lots of our favorites and personifies why we love our superhero stories. 



4. Legends of the Fall--One of the best tragic stories ever with some of the most compelling characters you can imagine! So sad, but I can't stop watching it anyway.



3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy--yes, I'm cheating by naming three at once, but it's my list. Deal with it. I grew up on the books/stories and this was one of the first well-made, sweeping fantasy epics that actually had awesome effects and was worth seeing in film format!



2. The Last Samurai--another historical epic (I totally go to see anything with Edward Zwick's name on it) I would watch  hundreds of times and never get sick of. Just gorgeous and touching and amazing! Such a well-told and acted story.



1. The Last of the Mohicans--one of the first movies I ever obsessed about and have probably literally seen a thousand times. It's full of deep characters, compelling dilemmas, and questions about life, culture, and identity that are universal. Besides, it's historical. What's not to love?


And no way that does my favorites justice. I didn't include any Jane Austen, old classics (the kind that have Chuck Heston or singing Austrian families in them) or any disney/pixar types, which I also love. Next time, we need to do top twenty-five, at least! :D

So, what are your top ten favorite films? Do you know of any writing events or conferences that I missed?  How is your writing going?

16 comments :

  1. LOTR and Star Wars made my list too. :) It's tough picking just ten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "original" Arthur with Dudley Moore and Liza Minelli. Haven't seen the newer one - not a big Russell Brand fan. I also really liked The Last Samurai which surprised me because I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan. I try to be open, though sometimes it is easier than others. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome that you have book signings scheduled. I like most of the movies on your list. Great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent list Liesel. Avengers is the most perfect superhero movie ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Legends of the Fall... I was strong-armed by my mother into watching that. Thirty minutes in she up and goes home, confident that I'm sufficiently hooked. That movie lingered with me for days. The only other movie to do that to me was The Color Purple. Both are worthy of being on any Top Ten.

    And you know what a sucker I am for dragons. I shall have to check out this Hatchling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First Contact was my Star Trek pick as well. You have great taste in movies.
    Glad your tour has been such a great success.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Star Wars and LOTR are definitely on my list :) Just epic films!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't stop at one list and made two.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a successful blog tour, and That is a fabulous list. What list is Princess Bride NOT on? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow congrats on your publishing, I wish you good luck with the Hatching, I love fantasy, I also write fantasy :). Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheaper by the Dozen and Arthur...too funny, both of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree - ten is too small a list. But I liked your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all congrats! 10 weren't enough, you're right. I just loved your list! great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some great movies in this list! My fave in your list is totally The Princess Bride :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. legends of the fall...who doesn't love seeing a rustic brad parading beautiful long hair and dreamy blue eyes??? new follower from the hop, hi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved "The Last Samurai" and "The Last Mohican" even though they didn't make my Top 10 list. I can watch them again and again. :3

    ReplyDelete