Monday, March 25, 2013

Top Ten Books--Fantasy/Dystopian Recommendations

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top Ten (Fantasy & Dystopian)Books I Recommend the Most

*Check out my other blog for my classic/historical picks. Sorry I didn't have time to link titles/authors or put covers up. This weekend was too crazy for me!


High Fantasy:

5. Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
4. Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
3. The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind
2. Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin 
1. Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Okay, so anyone who follows my blog is not at ALL shocked by the high fantasy picks, but what can I say? They're my faves. And if you wanted to get a good idea of what high fantasy is all about, any of those five will do the job beautifully!

Dystopian:

3. Divergent by Veronica Roth--a recent read for me and one I thoroughly enjoyed.
2. Partials by Dan Wells--another recent read. Might have liked it better than Divergent!
1. The Road by Cormac McCarthy--WARNING! This one's extremely dark and tragic, but to me it's the epitome of dystopian, written before the dystopian craze became widespread. McCarthy's style takes some getting used to, but he's kind of like the writer's writer. You can't do better than him!

Other Fantasy:

2. The Mask of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin--fabulous.
1. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake--also fabulous. Ghost lit.

How about you? What are your all-time Top Ten picks?

8 comments :

  1. Great list! Had I gone with my favourites of the favourites, LOTR would've easily occupied top spot ;)

    My (slightly modified) TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! So glad you have a high fantasy section, I love that genre!

    Thanks for sharing your recommendations! :)
    Roxy @ Story Envy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices. I haven't read Partials, thought I've seen it around a lot. Love that you chose high fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I cannot wait to start Wheel of Time books, already have them all. :D

    Happy reading!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite will always be Terry Brooks' original Shannara trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome list. I never really knew what The Road was about, but I may have to go and add that one now!! =) I love your high fantasy picks, too.
    Here's my Top Ten Tuesdays Post
    Megan @ Love, Literature, Art, and Reason

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. I loved Anna Dressed In Blood as well, and Chronicles of Narnia is classic. I need to get my butt in gear and read Game of Thrones and Wheel of Time series though.
    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete