Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Great Hunt Read-Along, Week 6

Source
1. We got to see a lot more Ogier in this section. What did you think of them and their
village?

I love the Ogier! Granted, life among them might be a bit dull at times (one of the reasons Loial left to see the world) but I totally love them! I love that they're wise. That they're bookish. That they sing to trees. I love seeing more of their culture and would be fascinated to sit down and talk to one of them for an afternoon. :D

2. There were some suspicions about what the Aiel women were really doing. Do you think they are looking for Rand or that it was a coincidence?
Source

Both. I don't think they were looking specifically for Rand, but them being there might be a result of other things coming to head, or them looking for He Who Comes With the Dawn. So, it may be both.

3. When Rand was trying to use the Portal stone, everyone got a glimpse at possible lives. What did you think of Rand's other possibilites? What do you think were Verin and Ingtar's?

They were all very sad. Made you realize that perhaps this was the only life he was fated to live, so that he could fulfill his destiny. Interesting that you ask specifically about Verin and Ingtar. I won't say more, but their other lives would be especially interesting to hear about. I really liked this part. The fact that maybe Verin doesn't know as much about everything as she things. The way it was presented. So great!

Source
4. Liandrin has finally shown her true colors! How do you think her betrayal will turn out for her and the rest of the Aes Sedai? Do you think she'll get away with it?

For a while I think she'll get away with it. She seemed very confident and probably wouldn't have pulled a stunt like this if she didn't think she could get away with it. But Liandrin in Black Ajah, so we can hope for a scene when all Darkfriends go splat in the muck, right?

5. Poor Egwene! Do you think Nynaeve and Elayne can save her before the ship arrives?

I'm with Min on this one. If Egwene is going to be important in Rand's life, chances are she isn't leaving the continent. Or if she is, she'll be back soon. Stupid Seanchan. I mean, uh...*clears throat*...very interesting development. :D

Other Tidbits:

Loved the story about the woman Deaine who was Aes Sedai and created the a'dam. Such tragic irony! 

Also love this quote by Nynaeve: "I hope Liandrin is there. I will make her curse the day her mother laid eyes on her father."(pg.) Made me laugh. So classic! :D

We're fast closing in on what, in my humble opinion, is one of the better book endings in this series. :D 

How is everyone else liking it?

2 comments :

  1. I too like the story of the aes sedai who created the a'dam. I wonder if she did it initially to control Black Ajah - perhaps she lived in a society that greatly needed their power to combat vile forces. Or it was a way for them to serve out their sentence of past transgressions. I wouldn't mind learning more about them as we move forward in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I'm not sure that they would be really dull, but it might take time to adjust to their pace of life: a bit like when you go on holiday and spend the first few days all jumpy because you haven't started to relax.

    2. I would imagine that their mythology is something they learn from childhood, so it would be a bit like a Christian seeing a guy with the marks of Christ and the crown of thorns.

    4. I am SO hoping that Liandrin is over-confident . . . but that is just my desire to see her get a good taste of Nynaeve's boot.

    5. Min's viewing does pretty much guarantee that Egwene will have a life that does not involve being a Damane, so I am not too worried about her future.

    ReplyDelete