Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Partials Book Review + Blog Tour Stop

 Today's Blog Tour Stop is a guest post at Lehua Parker. 

Partials Book Review

goodreads.com
One of the first League of Utah Writers meetings I ever attended included a presentations by Dan Wells. At the time, he was promoting his first book, I am Not a Serial Killer. I haven't read that one, and while I wouldn't mind picking it up sometime, it's not my first choice of genre. When I heard Wells was writing a dystopian series, though, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I read the first book last week.

It was fan-freakin'-tastic!

In a world where the population has been decimated by a past war with engineered super-humans known as Partials, and the human race can no longer reproduce, Kira, a sixteen year old Medic, is trying to find a way to save the humanity. Conception is possible, but the same virus that decimated the population (known as RM) is carried by the survivors and passed on to the newborns, who die a few hours or days after birth. The last surviving child is now fourteen-years old, and the human race is heading fast toward extinction.

Kira wants to cure RM, but doesn't think her government is doing all it can, so she sets off on a dangerous journey that will not only threaten her life and those of her friends, but one that will eventually shed light on aspects of her society that will change her world and rock the foundations of her beliefs.

I recently read Divergent, which I had been looking forward to for a long time, and don't get me wrong: I loved it! (My review HERE.) But, despite the fact that there was less romance in Partials and the story was much more sprawling, I liked it WAY more! I thought the writing style was much more engaging and I identified with and rooted for the characters much more strongly.

It took me just over a week to get through it, both because it had 468 pages and because I had a busy week, but I couldn't wait to keep reading it! The writing was great, the characters were compelling, and the story was clear. If you haven't read Partials, please do! It might be the best dystopian novel I've read this year. :D

Has anyone else read Partials? What did you think of it?

2 comments :

  1. I need to check this one out! It sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the awesome review. I am excited to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete