Thursday, September 27, 2012

Follow Friday--Big Words



Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs! 

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you! 



Q: What is the BIGGEST word you've seen used in a book lately - that made you stop and look it up? Might as well leave the definition & book too.


Photo Credit: historicenterprises.com
I can't remember which book this is from (I'm reading two classics at the same time so I'm sure it was one of them) but I remember looking it up. (Checked my dictionary.com iphone app to find it again.) The word was caparison (not comparison). It means: a decorative covering for a horse or for the tack or harness of a horse; trappings. Probably something that would ONLY be seen in a historical piece. 

What word have YOU had to look up recently?


43 comments :

  1. Hahaha I wonder what the author was describing that they needed to talk about a caparison? At least I know what it means now! Hope you have a great weekend :)

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely look up words even if I'm unsure about them, I generally just read the rest of the sentence, paragraph, etc and assume that what I think it means is right. lol
    I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I do that sometimes, too. Thanks for following! Happy Friday!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!
    That is certainly a unique word. i can hardly remember anything for mines. LOL.
    I'm a new follower from FF! Be sure to follwo me back at http://bookaholicfaggots.blogspot.com! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I'll check out your blog too! :D

      Delete
  5. That is one I haven't heard of before.

    Old follower.

    My F&F

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't heard of that word! Might have looked that one up myself. I usually can infer meaning of words based on the context, but if a word gives me trouble I will look it up!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard or read that word before, but now I know what it means. I'm a new follower, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got to love the classics, I swear sometimes it seems like they make up words ;)
    Great answer!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Here's my FF's for this week Book Me! and
    Carmen Jenner Author
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carmen! I'll check out both your blogs, too! :D

      Delete
  9. Don't know that one - it's a good word though.

    Here's my Follow Friday. Stop by if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Followed you back! Thanks for stopping by! :D Happy Friday!

      Delete
  10. It's always the clothing!
    New follower via RSS My F&F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I'll do the same. Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  11. Huh that's an interesting word! Haha

    New Follower! My FF @ Pink Fluffy Hearts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! I'll do the same! Happy Friday!

      Delete
  12. That is an interesting word. I've never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing! This week is turning into a vocabulary lesson.

    Here's my Friday Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Quinn! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  13. That's quite a word :) Thanks for stopping by my FF post earlier.

    I am an old GFC and Linky follower, but a new networked blog follower.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks Lexxie! Have a wonderful weekend yourself! :D

      Delete
  14. That's a new word to me! I'll have to figure out a way to use it in sentence sometime today...hehe. Old follower.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hopping through. I never would've guessed that one. Of course, I don't know anything about horses.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I know I didn't know what that word was and never knew what that was what the covering was called.

    Thanks for stopping by, Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never knew that word, interesting.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/09/feature_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew that for some reason, but not at all sure why a word like that would stick with me. :)

    New follower - thanks for stopping by. Bob @ Beauty in Ruins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Bob! You're the first one that has! Thanks for following. I'll check out your blogas well! :D

      Delete
  19. Hi Leisel, thanks for stopping by my poetry site today. Following you now #FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million, Luke! Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  20. Definitely a new one for me. Thanks for visiting. I'm new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! Have a great weekend! :D

      Delete
  21. GEEZ! That's a mouthful!! Great answer.

    Old follower.

    Christina@ Ensconced in YA
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  22. First time hearing that one. Great answer. New follower here.

    Check out my FF

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, I'm lerning all kinds of new words this week, lol! New follower. :)

    ~MA Church
    http://machurch00.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey am a new follower from friday follow

    please follow me back http://chroniclesofabookaddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete