Thursday, January 17, 2013

Divergence Book Review + Thoughts for Thursday

Persistence of Vision Blog Tour--Day 5


Today's tour stop is a spotlight at Far From Reality. If you get a chance, pop over and take a look! :D




Welcome to the Read and Review Hop! Hosted by Anya of On Starships and Dragonwings!




Divergent by Veronica Roth


goodreads.com
I finally read Divergent! It was at the top of my list of dystopian novels to read this year and I'd heard nothing but great things about it! It didn't disappoint! I totally loved it!

Especially at first, it reminded me a lot of Hunger Games. Not that the plots are at all the same, but it had a similar feel. Young people sent to a ceremony where life-changing decisions were made, then sent off to an alien place where they are forced to prove themselves through physical prowess.

There the similarities end, though. Beatrice, or Tris, lives in a society dominated by five factions and each faction dictates the beliefs, lifestyles, and behaviors of its members. Most people stay in the faction they're born into, but at sixteen they officially choose their life faction and have the option to change. Those who do change are generally considered traitors by their families. Tris knows she can't stay in her family's faction, which is dedicated to a life of service and selflessness. She craves adventure and, you know, revenge too much to fit in.

Tris makes her choice, as does her brother, but what she doesn't count on is the brutality of the faction she's chosen, and the fact that her choosing them doesn't ensure her a spot in their ranks.

I really liked Tris. She was more daring and more brutal than I am, especially as I was at that age, but she was totally relatable. I also really liked Four and that he stayed in character, even within their relationship. He never got completely sappy, even when they were alone together.

The structure of this story reminded me a lot of the structure of The Mask of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin in that they both felt a bit like prequels. The actual rebellion didn't begin until the very end of the book, which sets up beautifully for book 2, but it felt like this was the back story; the stuff that came before the rest. Not that it was at all bad. I very much enjoyed the story. It moved along at a good pace, never boring or slow.

The only thing I truly didn't like about the story was the whole Al situation. That whole story line was supposed to be tragic, which I'm usually all about, but it was too sad. Al reminded me a lot of my awesome brother. (Granted, my brother is obsessed with body-building and Showtime's Spartacus series, so he probably wouldn't have a problem knocking people out, but still.) My brother is tall and large of stature like that, but also sweet and prone to homesickness. The whole Al situation and how it turned out made me sick to my stomach. (That kind of a reaction is the mark of a great, effective writer, but I still didn't like it. *smiles queasily*)

The characters were well-written and you identified with them, and I will definitely be picking up book 2.
I would definitely recommend this one if you're looking for a great dystopian read! :D

Thoughts for Thursday

devor/123rf.com
Thoughts for Thursday is a new meme hosted by Musings on Fantasia and LKHill.  In this meme, we share thoughts or quotes that we know or have recently come across. Each week there is a specific subject or theme. These can be quotes from books, quotes by famous people, (quotes by YOU, perhaps ;D). Anything from anywhere is game, though we do ask that you keep your quote to a few sentences at most. Don't quote, for example, entire passages of a book or essay. These can be funny quips, cool sayings, hair-raising antidotes, movie lines, any kind of quote you can think of!

Readers may respond by either commenting on the quotes I put forward or contributing a quote of their own. Leave it in the comments or a link to your quote in the linky. Whoever comes up with the best one will get some swag and be entered to win a bigger prize later on!

Just have fun, collect awesome sayings by awesome people, and try to be inspired!

As we move into the New Year and start to see either the success or the drop-off of our resolutions, it's easy to get overwhelmed. This week's theme is Fear!!!


"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure."--Bill Cosby

"I'm not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens."--Woody Allen

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times."--Bruce Lee

"There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure."--Paulo Coelho

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."--Ben Franklin


What do you think? Do you have a favorite quote about fear to contribute? Which of the above is your favorite?

6 comments :

  1. Yey, I still have this one on my TBR shelf and I simply have to find a chance to read it!! I literally have it sitting on a bookshelf at home since I got it for my birthday last year, but you know how it goes with books you actually own when review books and library books are vying for reading time :( But it's awesome to know you loved it and it lived up to the hype :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Divergent and Insurgent. I m glad you enjoyed Divergent. Nice post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Divergent is a great book, glad to see you enjoyed it as much as I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Al thing made me really sad, too. But I loved the book. I thought it was better than Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this on my shelf from late last year. I have heard so many good things about it and I really should put it by my bed to read sooner rather than later. Great review.

    ReplyDelete