Monday, October 21, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Character Names

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Character Names That I Love or That are Unusual

Being a bit reader of fantasy, this really isn't hard. I could probably come up with dozens. So, these are the just the first to come to mind, and in no particular order:
Source

10. Loial from The Wheel of Time series. He's an Ogier who is sweet and smart and--yup!--very bookish. But he really lives up to his name with loyalty. Love him!



9. Chillingworth from The Scarlet Letter. He's the villain and I always loved how Hawthorne crafted a name that suggested the character of the villain.
Source

8. al'Lan Mandragoran from The Wheel of Time series. Okay, this is at least partly because he's just the most awesome, amazing, honorable guy ever! but anything with a hint of "dragon" in it, I'm all for.



Source
7. Arya/Aria from Game of Thrones/Under the Never Sky. The same name, but spelled differently. Sounds like a song, which is particularly appropriate for Under the Never Sky. It's more ironic in Game of Thrones because this character is a tomboy. But still, it's a pretty, feminine name that isn't common in our world. And yes, she's totally my favorite character in GoT.
Source


6. Luna Lovegood of the Harry Potter series. Her name is so appropriate for her character. Colorful, somewhat hippi-ish, though with so much innocence that she never has an agenda, but completely in her own world, and yet also endearing.


5. Zedicus Z'ul Zorander of The Sword of Truth series. He's first wizard, but in character comes across as a lovable, goofy old guy who's set in his ways. His name is perfect for who he is, and he always made me smile. Love him.


Source
4. Reep-i-Cheep of The Chronicles of Narnia. Okay, he's a mouse, so his name is fitting, but it's just so cutesy! I think I smiled every time I read the name. Of course, it helps that he's a fearless, warrior mouse who takes on opponents ten times his size!

3. Echo Emerson of Pushing the Limits. Some people see this as a name that's a little too weird. Just the author trying to be different. I do see the point there, and sort of agree, or would, if I didn't think the name was a perfect mirror for the character. In this case, she only sees 'echoes' of something bad that happened and is trying to figure it out throughout the book, so I think it works well.

2. Karou and Akiva of Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Not really any good reason. They're just very fitting for who the characters end up being, which you don't entirely find out until the very end of book 1. Just like them!

1. Magnus Bane of The Mortal Instruments. Really not my favorite character, but I think he's got a cool name for a warlock. 

So what are your Top Ten favorite character names?

20 comments :

  1. I love Echo and I love Magnus the character I've been trying to decide if I like the name or just like the character so much
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reep-i-Cheep is such a wonderufl name- I'm hoping to finish the narnia series soon, because I've only read the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe book (wasn't such a favourite); Arya is a lovely name, and Luna Lovegood is on my list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reep-i-Cheep is a good one. Most of the names in LOTR were good - very fluid and flowing.
    I still like my character's name of Ernx, even if no one can pronounce it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh nice! Seeing a few of these around and quite a few that are new to me!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reep-i-Cheep is such a good pick! And Luna Lovegood does have an awesome name that fits her so well! She made my list this week too! Great list!

    Nicole @ WCW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not ordinarily one to like unusual names, but I really enjoyed some of the ones you've chose to select for your Top Ten Tuesday post this week :) Aside from kicking myself for having forgotten to include 'Luna Lovegood' on my own list (How did I forget her? How!?), like you I also loved Aria's name in Under The Never Sky. I really enjoyed your wonderful choices and the relatively different perspective you added to this week's topic :) Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about Nephi from the Book of Mormon? Oh, wait. That's just for LDS folks right? If your not LDS, would you like to be? I digress. Magnus, Echo, Zedicus and Chillingworth. I had not heard of them before (I obviously have not read the books) but they sound intriguing. Lan would have to be my all time favorite hero person. I wonder who would win in a sword fight between Nephi and Lan? Maybe they should just use practice swords.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the character of Luna Lovegood and the name just suits her.

    Tsuki’s TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luna is definitely really pretty, love that name.
    Great picks!

    My Top Ten Post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay reep-a-cheep! Narnia sported some excellent names...Caspian, Eustice (lol)...and Aslan. I love the name Aslan. Good list!

    my ttt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Arya/Aria . . . I'm completely in love with that name. I want to have a baby just so I can name her that =)

    Our List
    Doris @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww Zedd!!! i also love his full name, its such a tongue-twister.

    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Reepicheep! I love him! And his name really is perfect. This is a terrific list! You're so right about Chillingworth being a spot-on villain's name, too. :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have two friends who named their little girls Aria, and I think it's a lovely name. I like it all the more for Arya Stark's badassery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reepicheep! A great one, and I never would have thought of it! Actually as a kid reading the Narnia books I LOVED the names in that series- Caspian, Rilian, Shasta, etc. Something about 'em...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Omg this list, I just love all of it! There are so many that I totally forgot to include though D: Reepicheep is definitely the most unique, I haven't seen anyone else include him and he's awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great picks! I like Aria as a name. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete