Monday, February 10, 2014

Movie Review: Captain Phillips

Source
I finally got to see Captain Phillips! I'm so behind on my movies. I rented it from Redbox over the weekend and watched it with my sister Friday night. 

This is the true story of a naval captain (played by Tom Hanks) who finds his ship full of cargo ambushed by Somali pirates with guns. He has to find a way to keep his crew safe and himself alive, while also dealing with these uneducated but brutal pirates.

Overall, I really loved this film. More than I thought I would. There's not a lot to say except that it's an amazing story. I won't go into the logistical details, because they'd be mundane in a review, but this man, Captain Phillips, is brave and selfless. He nearly gives his life for his crew and endures a traumatic, horrific ordeal. A true story of human greatness in the face of a terrible situation.

I gotta say, this might be the best acting I've ever seen Tom Hanks do. Better than Castaway. Better than Saving Private Ryan. I was just so impressed. He had me in tears at the end. I understand why he was up for so many awards. Plus, it was pretty much a one-man show. Of course there were the crew members and the bad guys, but they weren't even really supporting roles. Tom Hanks had to carry this move all by his lonesome. And trust me, he did it well.

I always love when, at the end of true stories, they do a quick afterward using on-screen captions to tell what happened to the characters afterward. The ones at the end of this movie just made me smile and think, "what a great film."

I'd highly recommend it to anyone who needs a deep, but ultimately uplifting story about the human spirit. Such a great movie!

Has anyone else seen Captain Phillips? What did you think of it?

1 comment :

  1. I haven't seen it yet, but I want to. It's challenging when one actor has to carry the film, like Bullock did in Gravity.

    ReplyDelete