Monday, February 3, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Tear-Jerkers

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books That Will Make You Cry (pictures courtesy of goodreads.com unless otherwise linked)




10. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

I was surprised how much I loved this book. I'd actually like to read the rest of the quartet. Yeah, the scene on the lake with his sister? Sniffling. Lots of sniffling.
9. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I read this in high school, but then read it again last year before the DiCaprio movie came out. I think I appreciated it a lot more as an adult than I did as a teenager. I don't think I cried while actually reading it, but the more I thought about it after, especially the ending, I started to tear up.

8. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

The end of this one was really good. Now, every time I hear the music from the musical version or see a depiction of the characters, I get teary eyed. I do think I teared up at the end of the book, but this is another one that I get teared up thinking about it in hindsight as well.

I know I've talked about this one before. George R. R. Martin has a talent for devastating readers by killing off favorite characters, but book 3 was the peak of this. There was all kinds of death and tragedy. It was one of those things you couldn't stop thinking about for days afterward.

Of course, my favorite installment of my favorite series. It was the culmination of thirteen prior novels, was comprised almost entirely of one massive, epic battle. I totally loved it and bawled through the entire thing. 

When I read this, I knew it was a Pulitzer winner. If you've never read Cormac McCarthy, you should know that he's a bit hard to get into and to read. His style is just very different than anything else you'll read. So, you may read this and be thinking, "why did this win the Pulitzer?" I think I thought it a few times. Then I got to the end, wiped my eye and blew my nose, and went, "never mind. I understand." 

I loved all the Chronicles of Narnia, but these are the two I specifically remember getting teary-eyed over. Mostly it was because of the powerful Christian themes in them. They were just so well-written, so well brought across. Loved them!

Um, yeah this is one had me crying on page 2! It's such a great book about patriotism and World War II, but it's very sad. Some parts of it, that deal with the atrocities of war, are very hard to read. Good, but definitely a tear-jerker.





Source

Of course I loved all the HPs, but the endings of these three all made me cry. A lot.

I read books 1 and 2 of this series years ago. I'd still like to go back and read them again, and finish the series. It's a historical fiction saga about the Revolutionary War, and I remember crying at the end of the first book. So good!

What books have made you cry?

33 comments :

  1. Oh gosh, I agree, A Storm of Swords was just the pinnacle when it came to character deaths and tragedy and crappy situations. I was going back and forth between "Oh no you didn't" and DDD= all throughout! (and it made my list this week, lol)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I think I sat there with my mouth hanging open for like six chapters. Almost threw the actual book against the wall. Almost. But of course couldn't stop reading. :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I felt emotional too with the last three Harry Potter books. Great list :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissi! I think HP will make lots of lists today, but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw the subject for this week. Happy Tuesday!

      Delete
  3. Great list. I think HP has made every one I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's made most of the ones I've seen too, but for good reason. Thanks so much for visiting! :D

      Delete
  4. I daresay you haven't read about Dewey. :)

    http://www.amazon.com/Dewey-Small-Town-Library-Touched-World/dp/B005GNJ8ZY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I haven't. But I'll check him out! Thanks for the recommendation! :D

      Delete
  5. I confess I've never cried over a book. The Narnia ones are powerful though. (Especially when you understand the real message.)
    My first book made a lot of people cry. I felt bad about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad about that. I used to apologize for that sort of thing as well, but if your reader is having an emotional reaction (and assuming it's the one you wanted them to have *fingers crossed*) it just means you're doing your job as an author well. :D Thanks Alex!

      Delete
  6. I chose the same Harry Potter books! I was a mess pretty much after book 5!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I remember being in absolute shock after the 4th book, but I didn't really cry. Five, six, and seven were all KINDS of ugly, though. :D Thanks Jessica!

      Delete
  7. A Memory of Light! The hardest part for me was when Bella bought it. I was quite surprised with myself and I realized how much she had grown on me during the entire series. Also, I didn't cry. I just had something in my eye. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hear ya. Had lots of stuff in my eyes while reading that one. :D

      Delete
  8. I never thought of "Ender's Game as a tearjerker but you're right. The ending of "The Road" haunts me with its bleakness. Great list Liesel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. "Haunting" is a great description of The Road. Thanks, Maurice!

      Delete
  9. Great list. I think HP has made it on to every one I've seen today, including mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Ms. Rowling definitely knew how to get us all! :D

      Delete
  10. I have only read The Great Gatsby and Les Miserables from your list. I kind of love tear-jerkers, though :)

    Have a terrific Tuesday!

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually love them. I have a pet peeve about when someone dies at the end of the story just to make people cry. It has to serve the plot or the characters somehow. Though, I see that problem much less often with books than with films. Thanks, Lexxie! :D

      Delete
  11. Great list! HP 5, 6 & 7 all make me cry, but I just picked 7 because it gets me from beginning to end! Ender's Game has been sitting on my TBR pile for so long now, I need to hurry up and get to that one. My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! Book 7 was definitely the worst. Enders Game is amazing. It made me cry, but I was surprised how much I liked it!

      Delete
  12. Oh, The Road! What a beautiful but hard book. I completely forgot to include HP, but if I had, I probably would have focused on #5, which really just broke my heart. And A Storm of Swords -- aaaaagh! Great list. The Horse & His Boy was actually one of my favorite Narnia books (just read the series for the first time last year) -- it surprises me that not very many people are familiar with this one.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I'd never heard of The Horse and His Boy until I read all the chronicles myself, and it ended up being my favorite! :D

      Delete
  13. I started The Road once but couldn't get into it. I might try again!

    Oh yes, book 3 of Martin's series has been the most devastating one! (haven't read book 4 yet but I hope it doesn't get any worse)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cormac McCarthy is definitely hard to get into, but he's worth it if you can't get through one of his books. Trust me! For Martin's series, I don't think it's gotten worse than book 3 yet, but it hasn't necessarily gotten better either. Can't wait for book 6 to come out!

      Delete
  14. Storm of Swords is just tough with all the heartbreak in that one. All of Robb's people... that's probably the most horrified I've been at a book! Couldn't believe it. Ned's death in the first one, and Arya having to drive her wolf away. Thanks Martin! :)

    I'm a fan of Horse and his Boy too, one of my favorites from that series as a kid. I should reread it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite sort of hating Martin for what he does to his characters, I still can't wait for book 6 to come out! Ah, epic fantasy! :D Thanks Greg!

      Delete
  15. Wolf by Albert Payson Terhune
    He Whistles for the Cricket by Gwen Walker
    Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
    Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

    I'm sure there are many many others, I cry easily when reading. :) But those are the notable ones off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read WtRFG since I was a kid, but I remember crying. And I totally forgot about Bridge to T. Such a great book! I cry fairly easily, too, or at least get teary-eyed, so I hear ya there. Thanks Jenelle! :D

      Delete
  16. I have not read Les Mis, but I've seen the movie (I know, not the same thing). I seriously cried throughout most of the movie. It was definitely emotional.

    My list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I'm the same way. I did cry reading the book, but now when I watch the film (especially the musical version) I tend to sob from beginning to end. I totally hear ya! :D

      Delete
  17. Les Mis and Harry Potter!!! Oh boy, so many tears!

    ReplyDelete