Thursday, February 27, 2014

Follow Friday: Changing Crappy Plotlines

Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!


Change the plot. If you could, what book would you change the ending or plot thread? Go ahead and do it...change it.


**I think we're gonna have a lot of book spoilers on this week's posts. Mine is no different. This has spoilers for the end of this trilogy, so if you haven't read it and plan to, don't read any farther!**

Source

I think I'm gonna have to complain about The Millenium trilogy here. I've complained about this before, but it's one of the only books I really pretty much hated. There's a lot of talk online about giving honest reviews, and believe me, I'm all for that. Most of my reviews are relatively good, though, because I honestly don't usually hate the books I read. I might dislike aspects of them, but I rarely have a passionate negative reaction to them.

This one, I did. The first book had a great mystery/whodunit in it that I loved. I kept reading because by then I was invested enough in the characters to keep going. Books 2 and 3 sort of degraded into mediocre semi-espionage novels, which is a difficult genre for me to read anyway. The reason I kept reading was because of the promise of eventual romance between the two main characters--Michael and Lisbeth. The way the author set it up, it was all but promised. All but certain. I just kept thinking, if I can just get to where they finally hook up, it will have been worth slogging through all the slow stuff.

Roughly 100 pages before the end of book 3, it was ridiculously obvious that the author simply changed his mind. He introduced a new female character, had Michael fall for her in record time (a couple chapters I think) and decided they'd be together. At the end, Lisbeth was alone and just had to accept that she'd never get to be with Michael. 

I mean, what the *bleep* kind of ending is that anyway?

So that's the one I'd change. Get them together. Make the books worth reading. End of story. Pun intended.

So, what plot line would you change?

18 comments :

  1. Isn't it frustrating how your OTP don't end up together?

    My FF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Definitely is. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  2. Since I haven't read the series yet I skipped over your plot change. I have this series on my wish list of books to read this year :)
    My FF
    New follower via Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. Hope you get around to it soon. :D The first book especially is a great whodunit mystery that I thoroughly enjoyed! :D

      Delete
  3. HEY LIESEL!!! Forgive me while I mentally hug you :)

    Old old old fan here, but very devoted and fervent! It's been a minute since I've been around. Sorry for the radio silence, but I hope you had a very good birthday.

    You know I'm pretty sure the author died before his books were "big." And, if I remember correctly he actually planned for ten books and died before he could write the remaining ten so some edits were done.

    Admittedly this is one of the series I could never really read because how explicit certain scenes were. I'm loving reading people's answer to this week's question though. People are not holding back and it's glorious.

    Anyways I hope you're doing well you stunning woman.


    Here's my Follow Friday post if you'd like to check it out.

    Otherwise I'm keeping an eye out for your upcoming books and I adore you.

    Rebecca @ Vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! It's great to hear from you. No worries about being absent. I actually started a new job recently which is seriously cutting down on my blogosphere time as well. We just do our best, right?

      I knew the author died prior to these hitting the market, but I actually didn't know there were supposed to be more books. That explains a lot. Thanks for telling me. Happy Friday! :D

      Delete
  4. Never read this series. I think my sister tried, but she didn't get very far. Maybe just the first book. But yeah, sounds like it didn't have a good ending at all!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not. Thanks for stopping by, Jessica! Happy Friday! :D

      Delete
  5. That's disappointing.
    I can't remember the title, but I read a book years ago where the characters were racing to save the earth from destruction. In the end, they fail and everybody dies. Yeah, I would so change that ending!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always get so frustrated when books end abruptly or give the obligatory "this is what happens to all the characters" summary chapter at the end. I can see why The Millennium Trilogy let you down.

    New Follower :)

    Jessica @ Tales Between the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true! It took me forever to finish The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest! Not only was the plot weird and such a shift from the first one but it was so mathematical and dry! I totally blocked out the insta-love though. Great choice!

    Happy FF! New Bloglovin Follower.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopping through. I didn't read your post since I've only read the first book in the series. I need to get back to it.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read these books a long time ago, and I read them in Norwegian (which is very close to Swedish; both spoken and written). I can't say I remember Michael's new woman - but I do know that the author had more or less finished a fourth book when he passed away suddenly. That book might not ever be published, though, because the author didn't have a will, so there's a dispute as to who owns the rights :(

    Happy Friday, Liesel. Thanks for stopping by earlier.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol, I would have been pissed at that ending! Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

    ~Pam @ Moonlight Reader

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good answer. I read the first book (Dragon Tattoo) but found it dragged in parts. Old follower. My FF

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read these books yet but I just stopped by to say Hello and followed you via bloglovin' and GFC.

    Here is my first ever FF: http://pottermorebook.blogspot.com/2014/02/feature-and-follow-1.html

    Also, if you are interested, I am currently hosting a blog hop as well: http://pottermorebook.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/pottermorebooks-6-months-bloggaversary.html

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have these books in my TBR pile so I skipped your answer I'm afraid, old GFC follower!

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great!
    Old follower

    Jessi
    http://www.thebookcove.com/2014/02/feature-and-follow-12-plot-change-up.html

    ReplyDelete