Thursday, October 10, 2013

Book Review: Girl of Nightmares

Source
Girl of Nightmares by Kendare Blake is the second book in what I understand is only a duology about Anna Dressed in Blood. Incidentally, book 1, entitled Anna Dressed in Blood, was one of the first books I read when I began blogging and one of the first blogged book reviews I did. Aside from that, I loved it! (Review here.) So you can imagine my excitement to see that book 2 had come out. I decided to read it as part of Readers Imbibing Peril for this year. 

This picks up not long after book 1 left off. Cas is trying to be a normal teen, going to school and hanging with his friends, Thomas and Carmel. But he can't get his mind off Anna and what she did for him.  He starts seeing her in random places and, before long, he's not sure if they're just dreams or hallucinations anymore. He sets off on a journey to try and figure out what happened to Anna but, of course, gets much more than he bargained for.

I really enjoyed this book. We got a lot of answers that were missing in book 1. Cas, as always, was charming, hilarious, oh-so-teenaged-boy narrator. He kept me laughing, even in the most dire of circumstances.

I thought the story was great and imaginative. I know lots of people wanted another book, while others thought it was a great ending. I can see it either way. I think there's definitely room for another book should the author choose to do so in the future. (For right now, she's saying no.) But it has a well wrapped-up ending that felt finished if there aren't any more.

Overall, I really loved this series. It does contain so gore and strong language, but I would still recommend it for anyone who's interested in YA, male narrators, ghost stories, horror, or just plain entertaining reads. :D

Has anyone else read this? What did you think?

No comments :

Post a Comment