Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Anna Dressed in Blood Book Review and RMQ


Photo Credit: goodreads.com

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake


Just your average boy-meets-girl, girl-kills-people story...

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead. 

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father’s mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead—keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn’t expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he’s never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained red and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life. (From Goodreads)
My Thoughts:

I LOVED Anna Dressed in Blood! Cas is a teenaged ghost hunter that moves around the country killing homicidal ghosts. His mom goes with him and is pretty understanding for a parent, but that's probably because she was married to a ghost hunter for so many years. Of course, this case is special. It gets ugly really fast and will change Cas, for better or worse. 

If you're at all in the CW series, Supernatural, you'll enjoy this. The premise is very similar. Cas is a teenaged  version of a Hunter. The major differences are that 1) he's still in high school and 2) he hunts ghosts almost exclusively, rather than an array of paranormal creatures. 

This is told in the first person, but the narrator is a guy rather than a girl, which is different. I really liked him, though. He's a very convincing teenager. The voice is realistic and very likable. 

Content Warning: I was a bit surprised at how gory this was. The gore didn't turn me off to the book at all, but because it's a YA novel, I just didn't expect there to be so much. As the narrator is an (often angry) high school kid, there is also some language in it. (He drops F-bombs here and there, along with some other cuss words.) 

Other than that, I loved the novel. Cas's sense of humor was hysterical and it was fun to be in his head. The story was engrossing, suspenseful, and at times downright creepy. I will definitely be picking up the sequel. This would be a great Halloween read, and a great read for anyone into ghost stories or the paranormal. I definitely recommend it! :D




Random Movie Quotes (RMQ)

Don't know what this is? Click here.

Today's RMQ is:
"This mortal form grows weak! I require sustenance!"

One point for film, one for actor, one for character. Any guesses?

15 comments :

  1. Great review! I loved this book, too - I'm trying to make myself wait to read book 2, but it's getting really hard! :)

    I agree that fans of Supernatural (like me!) should definitely check this one out.

    Have a great day!

    ~Gin @ Addicted to Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad to find a fellow Supernatural fan! Thanks so much for stopping by! (I'm looking forward to getting to Book 2 as well!) :D

      Delete
  2. I loved this book too! I thought the gore wasn't as bad as other books that I've read that concentrates on how much blood was poring or who is eating who, but I think it gives enough info for your mind to do all the effects. I loved Anna though she completely freaked me out. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Which is the mark of a great author! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  3. I really loved this book too, and I'm not usually one for ghost books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty good! :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I loved this one. You have reminded me that I need to read the sequel before Halloween! Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think I'll get to the sequel that soon--too many Halloween books to read--but hopefully soon! Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  5. I just got this from the library today, but if he drops the f-bomb I'm not going to like it. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he does, but you should try it anyway. I didn't find the language too intrusive and the story is phenomenal! :D

      Delete
  6. I loved Anna Dressed in Blood too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. So I seriously thought I would never say this. But... I suddenly want to read this book. Reading your review suddenly makes me want to read this. Eek!

    ReplyDelete