Monday, October 14, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Forced Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books I was Forced to Read. Most of these are classics I was forced to read (usually for school) and either loved or hated. 

Bad:


Source

10. The Pearl by John Steinbeck--Yes, you can throw tomatoes. I'm used to it. I'm the only English major alive that hates Steinbeck. In my defense, I've read 3 out of 4 of his major works, so it's not like I'm judging without experience. I've read enough of his work to form a well-informed opinion. *sticks finger down throat*



Source




9. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck--Glorifies murder. Just sayin'.



Source



8. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane--Not horrible, but boring. It's renowned for it's color imagery, but there's so much of it that the plot majorly stalls.



Source



7. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger--A classic, I know. But it was basically the '50s rebelling against their parents by talking about *gasp* sex. And why are we taking seriously anything said by someone who's had a complete mental meltdown and is in an institute. Yeah, just not my thing.



Source



6. Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck--Glorifies abject poverty, ignorance, cowardice, selfishness, and hopelessness. But yeah, let me run out and read that again.






Good:
Source


5. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne--Thought it would be boring, but loved it.




Source




4. The Once and Future King by T.H.White--Thought I would hate it because I loved First Knight and knew the book was very different. Glad to be wrong. Despite the strong tragic elements, it's still one of my favorite books today.






Source
3. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens--My English teacher handled this one uniquely. We started reading it the first week of class...and finished it the last week of class. We would read a few chapters, then wait weeks to get back to it all year. Some people didn't like that--and I really do understand--but I thought it was effective because taking all year made it feel like we'd lived through the time span of the book with the characters. One of the best stories ever written. Not that I'm biased or anything. :D



Source

2. The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander--In grade school, we were divided into two reading groups. One read The Black Cauldron; the other read a contemporary, American indian novel. I wanted to be in the latter group because I had the indian book at home and wanted to read it. I was bitter about being forced to read the fantasy. I'm so glad I did. It re-ignited my love of fantasy and I've never looked back!



Source

1. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad--I'm totally being a broken record about this one, so I'll give you the short story. Hated it the first time I was reading it. Fell in love by the end. Now read it at least once a year. It's fabulous!

So, what Top Ten books were you forced to read?

7 comments :

  1. My brother read Of Mice and Men when he was in high school and yeah, I don't think I could ever get around to reading it. I read A Tale of Two Cities on my own and I quite liked it, been meaning to re-read it again at some point xD

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely have different tastes in books! Pretty much if you reverse your good and bad that'd be my list! (Except The Black Cauldron, because come on that series is AWESOME). The Scarlet Letter and Heart of Darknss are both some of the very few books I read that I absolutely loathed, and I really enjoyed The Pearl and Of Mice and Men (although I have to agree with you about the glorified murder bit)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Grapes of Wrath would be high on my list of bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love A Tale of Two Cities, and give a lot of credit to the high school English teacher who forced us to read it! It's one that I've gone back to over and over again. The Once and Future King has been sitting on my bookshelf forever, and I know I need to read it! Totally with you on Catcher in the Rye -- just never appealed to me, and I never understood why it's considered a classic. Great list!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked Tale of Two Cities, but it didn't quite make my list. Glad to see there's another English major out there who hates Catcher in the Rye. I couldn't STAND Holden! Great list!

    Mary @ Mary Had a Little Book Blog
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of these but a few different books by the same author. Great list!

    Tsuki’s TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, I loved much of what you hated and vice versa. That's what's so fun about literature!

    ReplyDelete