Thursday, February 14, 2013

Eye of the World Book Review, Thoughts for Thursday and Blog Tour Stops

Today's Blog Tour Stop is Valentine's Day Guest Post on the Elements of Romance in my Book at The YA Bookworm Blogger

Let me know what you think!

Eye of the World Book Review

Welcome to the Read and Review Hop, Hosted by Anya of On Starships and Dragonwings!

goodreads.com
So I just finished reading The Eye of the World as part of a read-along hosted by Anya of On Starships and Dragonwings and Nyrlmrtl of Dab of Darkness.

I first picked this book up two weeks before my sophomore year of high school began. I've always been a reader, and I was particularly bored that summer. Not sure why--just not much going on. Anyway, this was when the store Media Play was still in business. My sister and I developed a weekly summer habit: we would go to a movie, then walk over and shop at Wal-Mart, Shopko, Media Play, etc., then go get some food at Hardees (a fast food joint that hasn't been around for a long while either. :D)

One day I went into Media Play and there were big displays with a cool-looking book on them called Path of Daggers. I picked up the book, solely based on the cover art, which I thought was awesome, and found that it was Book 8 of a series. I probably saw that book two or three weeks in a row before going over to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section and picking up book 1 and deciding to try it. Couldn't hurt, right?

Now these are long books (500-1000 pages each), but I read Volumes 1 and 2 in two weeks flat...and was thoroughly depressed that I had to start school and couldn't lay around reading Wheel of Time all day anymore. Thus began my love affair with Robert Jordan's epic series. I've said many times that it's had more influence on me as both a reader and a writer than most other things I've read in my life combined. Yeah, it's really that good.

So, onto the book. It's high fantasy. No sugar-coating that. If you're one of those people I can't comprehend who HATE high fantasy, it probably isn't for you. But hear me out. If you like historical fiction of the medieval variety, stories about paranormal magic, super-powers or some variation on one of the two, stories about interesting creatures, politics, epic battles, or just amazing plot lines and fantastic characters, you'd probably like the Wheel of Time. It has so many elements, but they're so seamlessly meshed that you start to feel like this world is real and the characters are old friends.

This is the story of Rand al'Thor, a farmer and sheepherder from a tiny town no one's ever heard of in a forgotten part of the world. But when strangers show up in his village, and then it's attacked by creatures from a nightmare, Rand's entire world is turned upside-down. He nearly loses his father, sees the desolation of his home town, learns some disturbing things about the truth of his own birth, and starts having horrific nightmares involving a man with furnaces instead of eyes and throat. And that's just Winternight!

What follows is an adventure of epic proportions that I simply couldn't put down. It's got adventure, powers, friends and foes, good and evil, kings and queens and puppet masters, wolves and Ogiers, swordsmen, story-tellers, unrequited romance (you've got to have a little of that) and tons of delicious angst. 

What would you do if you discovered you might be able to wield power beyond your wildest dreams, but that if you did, it would drive you mad?

Come find out! When the final installment of this series, A Memory of Light, hit shelves in January, it marked the end of Robert Jordan's epic story. You can now read the entire thing beginning to end. We're about to dive into the second installment over at the read-along, so come join us. I promise you won't regret it! :D

Thoughts for Thursday--Love


123rf.com
Thoughts for Thursday is a new meme hosted by Musings on Fantasia and LKHill.  In this meme, we share thoughts or quotes that we know or have recently come across. Each week there is a specific subject or theme. These can be quotes from books, quotes by famous people, (quotes by YOU, perhaps ;D). Anything from anywhere is game, though we do ask that you keep your quote to a few sentences at most. Don't quote, for example, entire passages of a book or essay. These can be funny quips, cool sayings, hair-raising antidotes, movie lines, any kind of quote you can think of!

Just have fun, collect awesome sayings by awesome people, and try to be inspired!

This is the week of Valentine's Day and you knew at some point was going to go all sentimental on you for the theme. What can I say? It's not easy being cheesy! This week's theme is Love!


"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." --Lao Tzu

"Immature love says: 'I love you because I need you.' Mature loves says: 'I need you because I love you.'"--Erich Fromm

"At the touch of Love, everyone becomes a poet."--Plato

"We come not to love by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly."--Sam Keen, To Love and Be Loved

"Love goes toward love as scholboys from their books. But love from love, toward school with heavy looks."--Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

What do you think? Which is your favorite? Do you have one to contribute?

4 comments :

  1. I agree that most readers of High Fantasy love staying in that world a bit longer than in some other genres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great doing the read along with you! Looking forward to the second book. I too enjoy long-running high fantasy series, especially if I can dip in and out of them after I have finished the series, rereading my favorite parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Liesel. It would absolutely drive me mad. The amount of power I have now kind of scares me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yey! I remember Hardees ;-) I think they had good milkshakes... or something, haha. In any case, indeed, it was an excellent book! I'm still trying to decide how to write my review, I feel like I've talked about this book so much already for some reason ;-)

    ReplyDelete