Thursday, February 28, 2013

Beautiful Creatures Movie Review + Thoughts for Thursday and Blog Tour Stops

Blog Tour Stop for Today: 
Review and Excerpt at My Library in the Making 

Source

Beautiful Creatures Movie Review

I read and reviewed Beautiful Creatures very recently (review here) and I loved it! It was such a great, engrossing story with great characters. I was very excited to see the film because, from the commercial  it looked like they were doing a good job, and most reviews I heard about the film said it was really good.

I must admit, I was a bit disappointed. But, let me explain. My disappointment definitely stems from having read the book first. Now, I'm someone who generally reads a book before seeing the movie, and I totally get that there's tons of stuff lost in the transition. In fact, one thing I like to see and muse on is how they handle things differently. So, while I might wish they hadn't cut a certain scene or cool character line, I'm not generally so bothered by it as to have strong, rant-inducing feelings.

For example, I wish there had been more of Ethan's friend, Link in the movie. He was a hilarious, lovable side character in the book. Yet, going into the film, I figured a lot of stuff with him would get cut. While he was really fun, he also wasn't central to the story so, from a creative standpoint, it made sense to cut him. The same was true of Marion, the librarian. While I loved her in the book, it made sense to cut her from the movie. I totally get that this was a 563-page novel and all those pages had to be boiled down to a 2-hour movie.

That said, there were just a lot of things I couldn't write off so easily. They pretty much changed the entire ending, for one thing. And they, shall we say, under-did the climax? Okay, I get that filming a dramatic, game-changing scene amidst torrential rain/thunder/lightning while still keeping the audience clear on what's happening might be difficult, but they didn't even try! Can we all say Lord of the Rings? Technology and CGI do happen, people. There are ways of doing things. I'm sure it had to do with budgeting concerns or something, but I really felt like they undercut some of the most important scenes in the story.

Other things, like Lena's room, were done differently as well. I didn't find this aspect bad, just different, but overall I wished they'd spent less time/effects trying to make this scene magical where it didn't especially need to be, and spent more time on more important parts of the story.

I also wasn't a huge fan of the relationship between Ethan and Amma (Viola Davis). In the book it was so sweet. He was so loyal to her and it was refreshing to see. It wasn't bad in the film, but they just didn't capture the closeness to my satisfaction. Not to mention, Ethan's father was completely left out except for one passing reference at the beginning. That was such a huge part of Ethan's character development! I can't believe they cut it completely out! Okay, done ranting.

Don't get me wrong. If you haven't read the book, you'll probably like the film. My sister hadn't read them and loved it. She even asked me if I had the books so she could borrow them. (I don't, as I read BC on my kindle.)

And there are some good things. The actors did an excellent job. Alden Ehrenreich shines as Ethan, lovable and funny. Lena, played by Alice Englert actually comes across stronger in the film than she did in the book, which I found neither good or bad--just different. Jeremy Irons makes a great Uncle Macon, and I wished he'd had more scenes. And Emma Thompson personifies the annoying southern busybody/evil witch in her role. Love that woman!

*Mild Spoiler* They also did this whole he-forgot-about-her thing at the end, which was completely fabricated--not in the book at all. While I wasn't a fan for the most part, I will say the very ending of that aspect was pretty cute. (I swooned a little.)

Overall Beautiful Creatures was a good movie, just vastly different than the book. And, if you hadn't figured it out yet, I liked the book much better. But, to each her own. This one is still worth seeing.

Thoughts for Thursday--Einstein

Thoughts for Thursday is a new meme hosted by Musings on Fantasia and LKHill.  In this meme, we share thoughts or quotes that we know or have recently come across. Each week there is a specific subject or theme. These can be quotes from books, quotes by famous people, (quotes by YOU, perhaps ;D). Anything from anywhere is game, though we do ask that you keep your quote to a few sentences at most. Don't quote, for example, entire passages of a book or essay. These can be funny quips, cool sayings, hair-raising antidotes, movie lines, any kind of quote you can think of!

Just have fun, collect awesome sayings by awesome people, and try to be inspired!

Today's subject is quotes by Albert Einstein! Now this guy was a genius, not just at physics but at life. Usually I go through quotes on a certain subject and find my favorite. Often, I'm even hard pressed to find enough for the post. Not so with my buddy Alby. Everything he ever said was deep! I didn't use all the quotes I wanted, because the post would have gone on and on, but even these barely scratch the surface. I have different ones at LKHill.


"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb trees, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

"If you can't explain it to a six-year-old, you don't understand it yourself."

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."

"I want to know God's thoughts. The rest are details."
What do you think? Which is your favorite? Do you have one to add?

4 comments :

  1. I've never understood why they have to completely change the ending in some book to movie translations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the movie. You're making me feel good about my decision to rent it instead of see it at the theater. It's always sad to be disappointed by the transition from book to movie and it sounds like this is one of them that wasn't as true to the book as it could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I haven't read the book yet, but my friends who I dragged with me immediately went and bought the Kindle books which I will be borrowing soon. They reassured me that the sexism of women not being able to choose sides and men being able to choose was not the same at all in the book, and the movie just completely changed that for no apparent reason but to piss off feminists... Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree I don't think it works as an adaptation and I don't think it works as a film! I had high expectations going in and was disappointed!

    ReplyDelete