Monday, January 19, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday + Teasers

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Source
This week's teasers come from A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. I've read this before, but am reading it again as part of our read-along. Two years in the making, we've finally made it to book 14! :D


He had spent many months fearing this day. Ever since Trollocs had come in the night, ever since Lan and Moiraine had dragged him from the Two Rivers, he had feared what was to come. 
The Last Battle. The end. He found himself unafraid now that it had come. Worried, but not afraid. (pg. 80)

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books That Have Been on my TBR List the Longest (All covers courtesy of Goodreads.com unless otherwise linked)

This week is actually a freebie, and this what I thought of. This was super easy. I just sorted my TBR list on Goodreads.com by "date added." These are the books I've had on the list longest, but haven't ever gotten around to reading. All of them were added between April and May of 2012. Hehe.





1. First Lord's Fury by Jim Butcher -- I've still never read Jim Butcher, though everyone tells me I should, and I'm sure when I get to it, I'll love it. Oddly, this always seems to be the quintessential book everyone refers to, but it's not the first in the series, so I'm always wondering whether to start with book 1 or not.


2. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner -- I read a Faulkner book (or most of one at least) in college and actually really liked it. I've heard this is the one everyone really likes, so it's just a classic I'd like to say I've read. Haven't yet, though.



3. I am Forbidden by Anouk Markovits -- WWII-era histfic, it's one that sounds beautiful and tragic. I really want to get to it. It seems like histfic is the genre I have the most trouble actually reading. Go figure.


4. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein -- Ditto the genre. I've heard this is like the best WWII book ever, but does require a case of kleenex. I think this one's on my Kindle, and I made a resolution to read all of the books that are sitting on my Kindle this year, so hopefully I'll get to it. :D



5. The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan -- Funny that I added this so early. I did a mermaid reading challenge in the summer of 2013, but obviously I was wanting to read some mermaid books earlier than that. 



6. Hannah by Kathryn Lasky -- Another mermaid book I didn't get to during my challenge. I think these two, and a few others, I just honestly couldn't find. Didn't have them at the library or whatever. 


7. I Never Promised You a Goody Bag by Jennifer Gilbert -- This is a real life memoir by a woman who survived a traumatic, near-death experience and then charged boldly forward through her life. I'd still really love to read her memoir.


8. The Cranes Dance by Meg Howrey -- This is a book about the private life of dancers. After the film Black Swan I actually want to read this less (hated that film) but the premise still sounds interesting, and hopefully it will be better than that film. :D



9. When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle -- This is supposed to be a modern telling of Romeo and Juliet, but from Rosaline's POV. Just sounds intriguing and fun. 



10. Kill Switch by Chris Lynch -- This has a really interesting premise, but it's a semi-espionage novel, and I've since learned that espionage novels are REALLY not my favorite. I'm still open to reading it, but a bit unsure about whether I'll like it or not. 

What books have you had on your TBR the longest?


12 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. LOL. Glad I'm not the only one. :D Happy Tuesday!

      Delete
  2. Oh nice! These are new to me books! Hope you get to read them soon!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Oh man, I'm trying to make it a point this year to read some of the books that have been on my to-read pile for a very long time (*cough*1Q84*cough*) xD

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I hear ya. Problem is, my TBR is like 700 books long, and books I've put on it recently are more alluring than those that have been on it for 2 years. I feel your pain!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! Maybe next freebie! :D

      Delete
  5. For the Jim Butcher books (Codex Alera), you absolutely must start at the beginning! Furies of Calderon is the first. I read all six books straight through, and loved them. Code Name Verity is amazing -- I read the book a couple of years ago, and just finished the audiobook over the weekend. Really, it's brilliant. Such a great topic -- I'd really have to think about what's been on my TBR list the longest. There certainly are a lot to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input about the Codex Alera. I was wondering. When I get to them, I'll be sure to start at the beginning. And I hope to get to Code Name Verity in the next few months. Thanks so much! :D

      Delete
  6. Nice topic!! I don'y even want to go there with which books have been on my bookshelves as some books have been sitting around for years unread. Here's my TTT post for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/01/top-ten-tuesday-authors-id-like-to-meet.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is just my kindle. I'm sure there are physical books on my shelves that have been there much longer. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete