Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Source
Hello All! We've just gotten through Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in our Potter Head Read-Along. It's being hosted by Sheila over at Book Journey, and it's not too late to join in if you're interested in reading with us. Details here. As most people are all kinds of familiar with our boy-wizard's world, this won't be your average book review. I'll just talk about points that struck my fancy while re-reading. 

We actually finished this book back on 12/26, but over the holidays I had pretty much NO time to post. So, here's my post about book 3. :D

Gotta love book 3! Azkaban introduces Sirius Black, dementors, werewolves, animagus, hippogriffs, Patronuses, and a lot of heavy history for Harry.

Though there are elements of the film version of this book that I really loved (Gary Oldman as Sirius for one) there were also a lot of things I was disappointed in. This was the only film that I really felt like screwed up the history a lot. They didn't go into enough detail about Black being the Potter's Secret Keeper, exactly how Pettigrew betrayed them, losing his finger, etc. I remember watching it with my older sister, who hadn't read the book, and I had to explain all this extra stuff to her. She asked why it hadn't been put in the film, but I had no answer. They just kind of messed that part of it up.

That said, I thought they did an excellent job with the dementors, the whole patronus situation, and most of the rest of it. Let's just say that the elements that were there were done very well, but there was a lot missing, from my view of things.

One other thing missing from the film that I wish they had done more with was Sir Cadogen. I know he was a very minor part of the narrative, and I think he did show up in the film, but just as a part of the scenery, but I totally loved him in the book! Wished they had focused more on him.

Then there was the relationship between Sirius the dog and Crookshanks. I thought this whole thing was hilarious. I loved that the cat knew how to stop the Whomping Willow from kicking everyone's butt. I wish we'd seen more of this in the film as well. 

Well, those were probably my favorite bits--the ones that stuck out to me, anyway--along with the time travel element, which I thought was well done. 

What was your favorite part of The Prisoner of Azkaban?

7 comments :

  1. There is so much to love about this one. I love the introduction of the map.... Peter, Serius, and Lupin. There are so many key components in this book that lead into future books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I realized how intelligent the cat was from just watching the movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. It was just a fat cat in the film. Way cooler in the book. :D

      Delete
  3. I forgot to mention I reopened the link and added your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! So much to love. And thanks for adding the post, Sheila! I appreciate it! :D

      Delete
  4. Liesel, I agree with everything you mentioned, and was especially annoyed by the lack of info behind the Marauder's Map. I don't know how anyone who hasn't read the books can understand the movies. And my favorite part of the book is everything in the Shrieking Shack. SO much tension and back story! :D Love the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad someone agrees. I always hear people say how the 3rd film is their favorite, and it's hard to make them understand that the 3rd book is SO MUCH BETTER! Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend! :D

      Delete