Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Book Review: The Maze Runner

Source
The Maze Runner has been on my list for a long time, and I finally got a hold of a copy. I found it to be a quick, engrossing read I had a hard time putting down.

Plot: Thomas awakens in a box which takes him, elevator-style, to a glade full of boys who have been trapped there for two years. They live in the midst of an unsolvable maze, complete with moving walls and terrifying monsters.  None of them remember life before the maze, including Thomas. He's just the newest edition to the party. But not long after he awakens in his new life, things start to get really weird.

Characters: I really loved the characters in this book. Reminiscent of the Ender quintet, or things like The Sandlot or Holes, this is a story about young boys who are utterly believable. The relationships Thomas develops run the gauntlet between best friend, bordering on brother, to utter enemy. It gives the story a very school-ish feel, but because the situation is life and death, it's much more compelling than that.

Story: This is a very unique story. It's one of those that isn't easily categorized. It starts out feeling very fantasy-like, but by the end it has become clear that this is actually the mysterious first-chapter of a dystopian saga. The world outside the maze seems to be in ruins, which means the maze is really just the beginning.

Ending: Like all great first-books of a series, this ends on a cliffhanger, and makes you just want to start the next book in the series. I didn't figure I would, at least not right away, but I may have to re-think that a bit. :D

Overall: I really enjoyed this book. I plan to finish the series and, you know, see the movie. :D

Has anyone else read The Maze Runner? What did you think of it?


8 comments :

  1. Although I didn't feel it was fantasy but I liked the dystopian element of the book and I enjoyed it very much. I saw this movie loved it too, its quite a great adaptation.

    Great review.
    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh glad to hear it! Now that I've read the book, can't wait to see the film. Always glad to hear they did a good job with it. :D Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I hope you enjoy the series! The Maze Runner definitely had me wanting more, The Scorch Trials had me dying for the answers to my questions, and The Death Cure sort of disappointed me. ): Overall, a very entertaining series to read, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I heard the 2nd book leaves you with more unanswered questions. Can't wait to read it! :D

      Delete
  3. I've seen the movie but the book is highly recommended so I'm going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty great. Here's hoping I can get a copy of the film soon! :D

      Delete
  4. I saw the movie and really enjoyed it. I hadn't read the book(s) so I didn't know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually just watched the movie a few days ago and I really liked it. There were a LOT of details that were different from the book but, surprisingly, the differences didn't bother me. They still did a really great job with it! :D Thanks for stopping by, Thomas!

      Delete