Monday, January 26, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday + Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Source
This week's teasers come from Mockingjay by Susan Collins. With the advent of part 1 of the third film (which I have yet to actually watch) I decided I wanted to re-read book 3. Even before the films, book 3 is the one I remember the least. I do remember the big things--how it ends, etc.--but I can't remember much of what actually happens in the plot. So, I'm doing a quick re-read.

"Another force to contend with. Another power player who has decided to use me as a piece in her games...But she has been the quickest to determine that I have an agenda of my own and am therefore not to be trusted. She has been the first to publicly brand me as a threat." (pg. 59)

What are you reading this week?





Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books I'd Read With My Book Club, If I Had a Book Club (All covers courtesy of Goodreads.com unless otherwise linked)

My go-to answer would probably be high fantasy, but I do lots of read-alongs in that genre, which weekly Q&A posts, which is kind of like a book club, right? So, to broaden my horizons, I'm gonna go with a sci-fi book club. Specifically, I would love to read more space opera.  




10. Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov - Asimov is most famous for his robot laws, of course, but some of his other works, including his short stories, are simply fantastic. I read book 2 of this trilogy in college and absolutely loved it. Since then, I've wanted to go back and read the entire trilogy. And, you know, everything else Asimov ever wrote. :D


9. The Ender Quintet by Orson Scott Card - I just read Ender's Game for the first time about a year ago, before the film came out. I loved it WAY more than I thought I would. I now dearly want to read all of the Ender books. Of course, that includes the Ender Quintet and Ender's Shadow. Can't wait, though. :D



8. The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn - All I know about this one is that Zahn is a Hugo Award winner, it's about a defiant, interstellar smuggler, and it's been on my TBR for ages. Can't wait to read it! :D



7. Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan - The premise of this one sounds fascinating. And--bonus!--I got a copy for Christmas. Yea!



6. Across the Universe by Beth Revis - I've heard insanely good things about this one. Really want to read it! I gather there's a good deal of romance in it as well, which is always a good thing. :D



5. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner - Another one with Icarus references (seems to be a trend with space opera, and with good reason) and lots of great reviews.


4. Where the Rock Splits the Sky by Philip Web - Another that's been on my TBR list for a while. I'll admit that both the cover (beautiful) and the title (ooh, interesting) drew me in here. Hopefully the book is as good as it sounds.


3. The Mad Scientists Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clark - Okay, from what I can tell, this isn't actually space opera. But there are robots in it and the premise sounds intriguing. Thanks to Star Trek: TNG I'm always intrigued by robots trying to find humanity. Good stuff.


2. Magisterium by Jeff Hirsch - This sounds like it's half fantasy and half scifi. It has elements of technology, but also magic. Generally, I probably wouldn't be very interested in having both of those in the same novel, but the premise sounds interesting and I'm interested to see how the author manages (if they do) to mesh the two.


1. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress/The Star Beast by Robert A. Heinlein - I've read some Heinein and I'll say that I've liked most of it. I really would like to read more. Heinlein can be a bit too hippy-ish for my taste sometimes, but overall he writes great stories. And I really think everyone should read him and Asimov, as they are kind of the forefathers of modern scif. That said, these are two of his books I've never gotten around to, but really want to. :D




What kind of book club would you choose if you could? And what top ten books would you read?

16 comments :

  1. These Broken Stars would be interesting to read with a book club! Great choices. :-) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh nice! Have heard lots of good things about These Broken Stars!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Hope to get to it this year. Thanks Jessica! Happy Tuesday! :D

      Delete
  3. All these books are new to me but I do love the covers and by the sound of it, they really seem interesting.

    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah space opera, when well-written, is super interesting. I agree that most of the covers are very beautiful! Thanks for stopping by, Christine! :D

      Delete
  4. Nice list! I'm so happy you included These Broken Stars and Across the Universe. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't put the list in any particular order (since I haven't read any of these yet. :D) but those two you mentioned might just be my top 2. Thanks for stopping by, Lauren. Happy Tuesday! :D

      Delete
  5. A sci-fi book group would be such fun! I'd love to read Asimov with a group -- sounds like it would be a great challenge and provoke all sorts of excellent discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I took a literary scifi class my final semester in college and, while I didn't love everything we read, I found that there was no end to fascinating discussion. :D

      Delete
  6. I haven't read any of the books from your list!! I'm off to check them out...

    Here's a link to my TTT for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/01/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-id-love-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'll check out your list as well!

      Delete
  7. Oooo...great choices! I'd like to read Ender's Game and Across the Universe. I would probably be more likely to do that if my book club was reading them.

    TTT
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's one nice thing about a book club. When you have something you HAVE to read, you're more likely to actually do it. Thanks Sandy! :D

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Can't wait to read that one. Thanks Giselle! :D

      Delete