Thursday, January 16, 2014

Review Day: The Mortal Instruments

I finally got around to reading books 4 and 5 of The Mortal Instruments, City of Fallen Angels and City of Lost Souls. As I said in my review of City of Glass, I really thought book three could have been the end of the series. The way it wrapped up all neat and tidy felt like an end of sorts. You always have to be careful when that happens because there's potential for the series to start to feel dragged out. Luckily, that doesn't seem to be an issue with Cassandra Clare.


Source

City of Fallen Angels

Plot: I don't want to say much and give spoilers for earlier installments, but suffice it to say this picks up where the last book left off. Everything seems to be hunky dory ('seems' being the operative word there) but the ramifications that things that happened at the end of book 3 become clear. And they're, well, kinda disastrous. (Hooray for great fiction!) Needless to say, Clary, Jace, Simon, Isabelle, Alec, and Magnus find themselves in quite a pickle, and have to band together--whether intentionally or not--to try and get themselves out of it.

Ending: No spoilers, I promise. I just wanted to say that this is one of those books with a supremely frustrating ending. It's like, really? And then you have to go get book 5. Luckily, book 5 is out and available for sale. 


City of Lost Souls
Source

Plot: Book 5 picks up a few weeks after the end of book 4, which a search for...uh, someone who went missing at the end of Fallen Angels (told you I wouldn't spoil, didn't I?) but of course there's no trace at all, and because of the Clave, political issues muddy the water as well. 

I actually found that I liked the plot of this book much more than that of book 4. Don't get me wrong: book 4 was really great and I couldn't stop reading it, but book 5 was better. There was just more going on and each character and plotline felt more focused. In a lot of ways, book 4 felt more like a setup for what is coming. Again, I'm not complaining. It wasn't bad, just different. And again, book 5 was better.

Overall, I really loved it and can't wait to get my hands on book 6, which will be out later this year. (It does have a cover or two now, btw, so look it up if you haven't seen it yet.)

I'm so glad that I've finally managed to read this series, though it hasn't ended yet, and I'm seriously thinking of looking to her Clockwork series, though probably not right away. :D

So, who else had read this series? What are you most excited to read about in book 6?

1 comment :

  1. I was so surprised when book 4 came out -- I was sure that #3 was the end! Since I thought the story wrapped up nicely at that point, I never felt the need to read further. Glad to hear you liked 4 and 5!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete