Thursday, January 2, 2014
A Baker's Dozen Lofty Writing Goals for 2014!
So, my goals mainly consist of three areas for this blog. (There are others, like fitness, relationships, and other personal stuff, but I generally don't share that on this blog.) The three bookish areas, if you will, are 1) Reading 2) Writing/Publishing 3) Social Networking. And I might do a 4th) Miscellaneous category as well.
2) Writing/Publishing -- As things stand now, I might actually put out as many as four books out this year, though it may only be three, just depending.
- I am finished writing book 2 of Street Games, entitled Desolate Mantle. However, I have at least six weeks of editing ahead of me and I don't have a cover yet. I'm hoping to get it out in March or April sometime.
- I also have the first draft of my high fantasy, dragon series finished. The series will be called Dragon Magic, though I haven't settled on a title for the first installment yet. (A short story prequel is available if anyone is interested). This one, though, is still a ways from publication as well. I'm going to start editing but, unlike most of the books I write, I have some pretty major, overhaul editing to do on this manuscript. I may be looking at 2-3 mos before the editing is done. Once it is, I'll probably shop it around to some big-name publishers. If I get picked up, the book probably won't be out until 2015. If I don't get any bites, I'll publish it myself, and it should be out the mid to latter half of this year.
- Citadels of Fire is slated for release this May, and--other than perhaps minor changes that at most would result in a a few weeks difference--I think the date is pretty much written in stone at this point. *crosses fingers*
- Finally, as soon as I get the editing done on Desolate Mantle and Dragon Magic, I'll start writing the 3rd installment of Interchron, which I'm probably going to call Dark Matter. (For some reason, all my current projects have the initials DM. I swear I didn't do that on purpose! :D) I'm hoping to get Dark Matter, book 3 of Interchron, out by the end of the year as well.
So, that's four books. Originally I thought my crime drama, The Botanist, which is being published by Jolly Fish Press, would be out in the Fall, but it's looking like that one's getting pushed to 2015. Still, if I can manage it, perhaps four books this year. If my Dragon Magic series gets picked up, it should open up some time for me to finish book 3 of Interchron. That's because a traditional publisher will take care of lots of stuff that, if I self publish, I have to do on my own. If I self-publish Dragon Magic, it'll be harder for me to get Dark Matter out, so I'll just have to see how things pan out.
My only other goal in this area has to do with sales. 2013 was my first year as a published author, and I did respectably well. Not terribly, but not totally awesome either. My goal this year will be to work on visibility and just sell more books all around.
My goal for this year--and I will keep records--is to sell 100,000 books. Is that a lofty goal? Certainly! But is it possible? With three plus books on the market, absolutely! Besides, even if I don't attain it--only sell half that, say--I'll still have sold 50,000 books which is one heck of a lot more than I sold this year. You know what they say about reaching for the stars, right?
So, these are my writing/publishing goals, and I'm gonna push for them!
3) Social Networking -- These are mostly numbers and reach goals. For Facebook, I'd like to have 1,000 + likes on each of my pages. For Twitter, I'd like to have triple the followers, or about 15,000 by the end of the year. I'd like to have 2,000 followers via my Blog, and increase my email list to 500+. (It's pretty pitiful right now. :-/ ) And, perhaps more importantly, I'd like to increase the monthly page views on my blog. Right now, I get about 3,000 hits a month. I'd like to go up to 10-15,000. (On a side note, most of you are probably aware that I have two blogs right now and have maintained both for a year and a half, now. But, I'm putting together a website that will function as a central hub for all my books, and I'm going to import my blog there, which means I really need to go down to only one. This site won't be done for another month at least, but when it is, I will probably merge my two blogs and only maintain one. But, more on that when it happens.)
I'd also like to increase my presence on Google Plus and Linked In, as I've done next to nothing with either of these networks this past year. I'm also going to look into doing some things on YouTube, though I'm not positive how far I'll get on that, as it's low on my priorities list.
4) Miscellaneous -- Pretty much the reason I included this section is because I want to branch out in my speaking engagements this year (I did three, I think in 2013, but I'd like to do more) and I'd also like to put together some how-to products for writers. There are plenty such things on the market, and this past year, I didn't feel like a knew enough to speak about such things with much authority. But now I've been doing this more the better part of two years, and I've had experience with both traditional and self publishing, so I may start putting some things together based on my experiences.
There you have it! My 2014 goals! Wish me luck. It's going to be an insanely busy--but also hopefully an insanely productive--year! Happy New Year, Everyone! And here's to hoping the journey to your resolutions go better than this:
What do you think of my goals? What are your goals for 2014?