Monday, January 27, 2014

Review Day: Soul Screamers, Volume 1

So I finally started the Soul Screamers book that's been on my shelf since last February--almost an entire year. I've decided to try and read the entire series straight through. I'm reading the "Volume" books, and volume one had the Prequel: My Soul to Lose, Book 1: My Soul to Take, and Book 2: My Soul to Save. Here are the reviews for each of those.


Source

My Soul to Lose (Soul Screamers 0.5) by Rachel Vincent

In book 1, My Soul to Take, the characters make frequent mention of a time when Kaylee couldn't control her scream and her aunt and uncle committed her for a short time. That's what this prequel is about.

Strengths: It's well-written, in Vincent's signature style, with Kaylee snarky as ever and very teenaged. The plot is engrossing. I was never bored and wanted to keep reading to find out what happened next.

Weaknesses: The only thing I would say is that we aren't given any answers at all and it doesn't feel particularly well summed up. Now, for the most part, that's okay. It's a prequel and you can dive right into book 1, in which Kaylee will learn who/what she is and what the uncontrollable, blood-curdling screams are about. Besides, as an author who also has a prequel that definitely doesn't "end," I'd be a hypocrite to disparage My Soul to Lose based on this. But, I'm just saying, don't expect a self-contained story.

Source

My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers #1) by Rachel Vincent

Kaylee is a typical teen, except that she sometimes gets premonitions of death and then starts screaming uncontrollably. At the beginning, she sneaks into a club with her best friend, meets a boy there from school who she has a bit of a crush on, even though she denies that, and then gets just such premonition.

The boy, Nash, is kind to her and actually helps calm her down. The problem is, the girl that dies in the club simply drops dead and over the next few days, more girls drop with no explanation.

Kaylee learns that she may not be entirely human, but rather a supernatural creature that receives death premonitions and may be able to somewhat manipulate the dead as they pass over. Kaylee has to learn about her true heritage and abilities, and try to figure out what is killing the girls around her, as well as who might be next, before her friends start dropping like flies.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It's well-written and the voice is engaging and fund to follow. One of my favorite characters is Todd, the Reaper. I love all the scenes with him in them! He's my fave. :D Kaylee and Nash are fun to root for and keep me turning pages.

Source

My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers #2) by Rachel Vincent

Book 2 picks up a few weeks after the drama of book 1. Kaylee's family circumstances have changed. As she tries to adjust while also continuing to learn about herself and her abilities, a new problem surfaces. 

A girl Todd knew while he was alive seems to have sold her soul to a demon. It seems that media tycoons who put out churn out teen pop star cash cows are doing it by getting them to sell their souls in return to obscene fame and fortune. 

Kaylee, Nash, and Todd undertake to save a pair of sisters by getting their souls back before they die, so that when they do, they won't be tortured for all of eternity. And I thought I had stress.

I enjoyed book 2 as well. We learn more about Kaylee and Nash's abilities, get to see more of Todd, and even get a pretty great (and creepy) jaunt into the Netherworld. Overall, I don't have a whole lot to say except that I'm still liking it. As long as I keep wanting to read more, you know that's a good sign. :D

On to book 3.

Anyone else read this series?

1 comment :

  1. I haven't read these books yet--in fact, they barely brushed my radar--but now I'm intrigued. :)

    ReplyDelete