Monday, January 6, 2014

Book Review: Lord of Chaos

Source
As most of you know, I am participating in what will be a 2+ year read-along, going slowly through the Wheel of Time series. Just before 2013 ended, we finished book 6, Lord of Chaos. There will be some very mild spoilers--nothing major, but vague recaps of major events in prior books.

Plot: This installment picks up where book 5 left off. All of our characters are dealing with the tragedy of Moiraine vs. Lanfear that went down at the end of The Fires of Heaven. Egwene is still training with the Wise Ones, Nynaeve and Elayne make their way to the camp of the rebels, and Rand continues to try to keep his head above water, as concerns the Forsaken, all the politics swirling around him, and his own sanity.

Lots of key things happen in this book. Where Rand has been in the Waste for the past 1 1/2 books, he finally crosses back over to the "wetlands" which mean a lot of extremely annoying politics. The divided tower starts making plays to further their own positions. Nynaeve and Elayne come up with a way to help Rand and the world. And Egwene...well things change pretty drastically for her as well. 

Ending: The end is what makes this book! I won't spoil it, but I've got two words for you: EPIC BATTLE. Oh yeah. It's freakin' awesome! Totally loved it and geeked out about it on my read-long post.

Basically, if you like WoT and epic fantasy in general, you'll love it. If not, you probably won't. It's one of my favorite endings of the series, so I was excited to read it again.

Has anyone else read the Wheel of Time series? What's your favorite volume?

2 comments :

  1. My favorite book of the Wheel of Time series? Hmmm, either Eye of the World or A Memory of Light. I also really loved The Path of Daggers - but was so disappointed by Winter's Heart that it sort of ruined the entire middle section of the series for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new fave is definitely A Memory of Light. I thought Sanderson did SUCH an excellent job with it. I can't remember my specific feelings about books 8 and 9, but I'll be re-reading them soon, so I guess I can form new impressions. There's a special place in my heart for the cover of book 8, though, because the cover pic is what drew me to the series in the first place. :D Thanks Jenelle!

      Delete