Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Way of Kings Read-Along, Week 4



1.  We seem to be getting more and more proof that there is some ''luck'' or magic at play when it comes to Kaladin's safety,  survival and his skills - especially during those battle scenes.  Even when performing that Kata in the Chasm, there was something  incredible about his movements according to the rest of the crew. Initially the blade seemed to be the source of his skills (to me at least) , what do you think might be fueling his powers?  Do you think they're getting stronger?

I think it's a definite possibility. Now that he's focusing them, honing them in a lot of ways, his abilities are growing. Whatever is fueling them would naturally grow stronger. I have to say, I also think they're tied to Syl somehow. She was buzzing around him in the chasm and the others--even aside from Rock--could see her. I don't think her showing up right when Kaladin would need this kind of help, is a coincidence. Whether she's the actual source, though, or just a byproduct of something else that's happening, though, remains to be seen.

2. We were introduced to Navani, King Gavilar's widow and the current King Elhokar's mother.  What was your initial impression of her?  There seems to be some complicated history between her and Dalinar,  do you think she might end up being an ally or an eventual hindrance?


She seems very confident, very sure of herself. Intriguing. She's also definitely a schemer. I can't help but think that whatever happened to Dalinar that made him forget his wife entirely might have something to do with her. If they have history, then at the very least she would have known who his wife was. I'm very interested to learn more about her and what their history together entailed, and what she might know about his wife. Whether she'll be an ally or a hindrance, though, is hard to say at this point. She's still too swathed in mystery to say what her intentions are.

3. What did you make of Sadeas' maneuver against Dalinar to gain the King's favor by being named the High Prince of Information?  How do you reconcile his actions with the advice Dalinar received ''to trust'' Sadeas?


Obviously Sadeas is both cunning and ambitious. He's also observant enough to figure out how to manipulate the king. As the king is young and, as pointed out by his own mother, not the strongest of kings, this may not be particularly difficult, but Sadeas managed to outwit Dalinar, so he's obviously someone to watch out for. I don't know how to reconcile trusting him yet. Either the voice is wrong (which could prove to be disastrous) or there's more to him we just haven't seen yet. Who knows? Maybe he will do great good as High Prince of Information. No idea how that could be the case, but I guess we'll see. 

4. Where you surprised when Rock admitted to Kaladin that he was seemingly born being able to see the Spren and therefore could see Syl following Kaladin around? That led to a pivotal point for Kaladin, gaining Rock's favor and then Teft's.  What were your thoughts on that whole scene? Can you speculate as to why some people are able to see the spren when others can not?


It was definitely interesting to find someone else who can see Syl. The more we learn about Rock, the more I like him. He was the first to recognize what Kaladin was trying to do and support him. Plus, he obviously has an interesting past. Even Kaladin was confused about exactly what Rock meant about being born with the ability to see Spren, so I don't think we have any hope of understanding it yet, but hopefully Rock will explain more at some juncture. Overall, I'm really loving this team dynamic Kaladin is establishing. If certain people are born being able to see Spren--no idea how or why that would be--but in terms of the story, it would suggest that Kaladin may have need of Rock at some point. Not sure for what, but it's an interesting fact to file away for now. 

5.  We got to see Adolin confront his father Dalinar because of his visions and lay all his cards on the table. Clearly Adolin thinks his father is losing it and his words seemed to shake Dalina's own convictions as well.  Do you think this will have a lasting effect on Dalinar's belief in his visions? Not to mention his acting on them?  Moreover, do you think Adolin will ever be convinced that there is more to Dalinar's visions any time soon?


In a way, this might have been a good thing because at least now Dalinar now knows where his son stands. Yet, it's always disheartening to hear a statement of unbelief from a close family member. I hope it doesn't discourage Dalinar too much. I think if the visions keep coming, though, he won't be able to help but do as they tell him to. It's all too real to him to be ignored. If things stay as they are, I don't think Adolin will ever believe anything about the visions other than that they're delusions in Dalinar's head. For him to believe, something significant would have to happen like he himself seeing them or perhaps some part of them materializing in the real world. 

6.  As if in further indication of Dalinar and Kaladin's collision course towards one another, Dalinar has agreed to train a bridge crew - without putting them directly into assault or harm's way (of course, love these two!!) do you think their joined efforts might be enough to change the way the the other High Princes  go about things during battle?  Especially Sadeas?


I doubt the actual training and ideas will do much. They'll have to demonstrate the value of this in the field, and it will have to be significantly better than the system already in place. I really hope Dalinar can accomplish it, though. That, and trying to get other princes to work with him to take a plateau. Of course we can see the value of his ideas, but no one else is very convinced as yet. Every time he talks about it or approaches someone, I get excited for him. I hope he accomplishes his aim and revolutionizes the system sooner or later.

Extras:

I really liked the image of Kaladin and his men sitting around the fire, eating stew and talking and singing. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that crew, as opposed to all the others. I also liked the way Kaladin managed to not be manipulated by the apothecary. Only someone with some education could make the connections and come to the conclusions Kaladin does. I'm glad he'll have a way to make some money and further his own plans, now. It's always nice to see a forward-thinking character who finds ways around the limits imposed upon him. 

Also, where's Shallan? I keep hoping to get back to her story. I miss her. Hopefully in this next section.

What other blogger's thought:




How did everyone else like this section?


5 comments :

  1. I hadn't thought of Syl being a source or byproduct of his power, that's an interesting idea. I hope something happens soon to show the truth of Dalinar's visions, because I feel really bad for him, with how everyone is turning on him. Maybe Dalinar can work out a way to get the speed of the bridge crews without having people senselessly slaughtered! I hope we get to see more of the Shallan/Jasnah story soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a bit sad for Dalinar - he really is having a rough time and I can't help thinking that Sadeas is just waiting to make a play against him. Although I don't understand why.
    Interesting thinking about Syl - there's definitely something different about her. She's not a regular Spren is she and you're right - the other bridgemen could also see her when she was flitting about around Kaladin in the chasms.
    I loved the reading this week - I'm totally absorbed now and really I'd just like to race off and read it all but I'm behaving (for now!)
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope we get to learn more about Syl as the chapters progress; I don't remember much from my first read of the novel but Syl definitely stands out as unique.

    I really hope things start looking up for Dalinar as he's devoted so much energy already towards these visions that he's received. That and maybe I'm just super protective of the character, lol.

    - Lianne @ caffeinatedlife.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dalinar and his women troubles. The lost memories of his wife.....Navani making bedroom eyes at him over dinner. Yep, the dude has problems. I really want more info about his deleted wife - what crime (or mistake?) could she have committed to be so thoroughly deleted from court life? Marry a dark eyes in secret?

    I liked all the male bonding scenes in this section. Rock's admission that he was a chef, and put a little dung into Sadeas's meal made me laugh out loud. I am sure some of the other men have such entertaining stories too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I am so horribly late: sometimes my life is just far too complicated! :D 

    1. I wonder what age people are when their abilities usually manifest? I keep forgetting that Kal is only 19/20 years old, so this could simply be the age when his powers become obvious. However, they do seem to be developing every quickly now and I wonder if you are right about this being linked to Syl.

    2. I hope that she is an ally, but that is simply because I like Dalinar and want him to be able to concentrate on saving the world! :D

    3. There are some aspects of Dalinar's honorableness that remind me rather uncomfortably of George R.R. Martin's Ned Stark. I really hope that he doesn't suffer the same fate, but his lack of sneaky skills has certainly let Sadeas outmaneuver him.

    4. Rock had me when he admitted putting poo in Sadeas' food! :D

    5. I'm not sure that Adolin doesn't believe in the visions, just that he is really embarrassed and worried about them. I was very happy that he apologized so quickly and didn't stomp about like a sulky teenager.

    6. Much as I would like Dalinar to get some support from the other Highprinces, I seriously doubt that it will happen any time soon. Competition is so ingrained in this society that it will take a miracle to make them cooperate.

    ReplyDelete