Monday, January 20, 2014

3 Tips for a Great KDP Promo

So last Wednesday and Thursday, I did my first KDP free promo for Quantum Entanglement. It was free on Amazon for those two days. 

And guess what?

I got 1328 downloads over two days! Whoo-hoo! (Check out the screenshot below.)

As of Sunday night, I'd only sold eight additional copies at regular price, but that's actually more than I sold during all of November, so I'm happy with the outcome. Hopefully I'll get more over the next two weeks as well. Plus, being that this is book 2, I'm hoping it'll give me a bump in sales for book 1.

Overall, even though the numbers may be much smaller than what other authors do, I'm calling this a success. Yippee! :D




I'll probably do a more detailed post about it later (I have a second promo for a different book later in the month, and I'd like to gather more info before posting about it) but the basics of what I did are as follows.

1) Scheduled the promo through kdp.amazon.com. You have to enroll your book in KDP, which means it has to be exclusive to Amazon for 90 days. After everything's all squared away, you can schedule your free days.

2) Submit to as many free book listing sites as possible. I did about twenty-five. Most of these don't guarantee a listing. They get so many submissions that it's all dependent on how much time and space they have. To be guaranteed a listing, you have to pay a small fee. The fee, for most of the sites, is extremely reasonable (between $5 and $15) but I'm still recovering from Christmas myself, and I wanted to see how far the completely free ones would take me. 

For a great list of free sites, check out THIS POST. It also has a list of Facebook pages you can list your book on during it's promo days. A handful of those didn't work for me, but I just did the ones I could and didn't worry about it.

3) Promote, promote, promote on your free days. I enlisted the help of friends, facebook acquaintances, and fellow authors, who were all very supportive. Many people re-posted for me. Of course there's also Twitter, Google Plus, and all other platforms. But be careful not to spam. 

And the result: 1300 + downloads, which is more than I've done in a single week before for any book before. I'll continue to experiment and see what works.

Anyone have any other tips for success during a KDP Promo?

1 comment :

  1. That's a lot of downloads. My publisher stated they will never do a free book promotion, but they are doing a reduced price one the first week of February. We'll see what happens!

    ReplyDelete