Monday, January 6, 2014

Teaser Tuesday + Top Ten Tuesday

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!



Source
This week's teasers are from City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare. I read books 1-3 last year and am finally getting to the final two. Of course, book 6 is slated for release later this year. Yipee!

"You're just worried they'll hire a male instructor and he'll be hotter than you." 
Jace's eyebrows went up. "Hotter than me?" 
"It could happen," Clary said. "You know, theoretically." 
"Theoretically the planet could suddenly crack in half, leaving me one one side and you on the other side, forever and tragically parted, but I'm not worried about that, either. Some things," Jace said, with his customary crooked smile, "are just too unlikely to dwell on." pg. 77

What are you reading this week?

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Goals/Resolutions for 2014(pictures courtesy of goodreads.com unless otherwise linked)

Bookish:

Source
10. Read 50 books. This was my goal for 2013, and I actually did time and a half, ending with exactly 75 books read. (Yea!) I probably should up the number, but I actually think I'll have less time to read this year, so if I keep it at 50, or at least a book a week, I think that's still an attainable goal for me.

9. Get four books either published or well on their way to being published. I know for sure I'll get the next volume of Street Games out, the next installment of Interchron out, and Citadels of Fire, Book 1 of Kremlins will be out in May, courtesy of Jolly Fish Press. The other one I'm working on, book 1 of Dragon Magic (name of volume 1 still pending) won't be edited for another 2-3 months. After that, I'm going to peddle it to some bigger publishing company. If it gets picked up, it probably won't be out until 2015. If I don't get any bites, I'll self-publish and it will probably be out in the Fall. Even if it doesn't get published this year, though, it'll be well on it's way. :D

8. Up my social networking reach. I did a more detailed resolutions post a few days ago (HERE) and in it I put that I want to reach 1,000 likes on Facebook, 15,000 on Twitter (that's 3X what I have now), 2,000 blog followers, and grow my email list to at least 500. Whew. I've got some work to do!

7. Become more familiar and active on both Google+ and Linked In. I have profiles on both these networks but am rarely active on them. I want to make them work for me and my books. (If you aren't connected with me on any of my networks, feel free to click the links. I'm an awesome follow-backer. Yes, of course that's a word. :D)

6. Branch out my writing income. I'd like to do more speaking engagements and maybe put out some how-to/tips/advice-type products for other writers/authors. I also might look into a youtube channel. That one's a low priority, and I probably won't get to it until the latter half of the year, but still. You never know. :D

5. Sales! I would love to get to a point this year where my writing is paying all my bills, not just supplementing them. My goal, as I put on my resolutions post, is to sell 100,000 books this year. That's an EXTREMELY lofty goal for me, but if I aim for it, and even only reach half that number, it would still be awesome! Since I'm a frugal person who doesn't live or buy extravagantly, it would more than keep me afloat financially.

Non-Bookish:

Source
4. Pampered Chef. In the past few months, I've started selling Pampered Chef to supplement my income. It's easy and really fun. I love to cook, so doing cooking shows is something I actually really enjoy. This is a company that has great incentives, including a paid vacation in 2015 if you sell enough in 2014. My only goal for this company is to qualify for that trip. It's an extremely luxurious Disneyland package, and I hope to take my sisters and 3-year-old niece. It'll be so fun!

3. Fitness. As someone who struggles with her weight (it couldn't have anything to do with all these hours sitting at my computer, could it) I usually have weight loss resolutions. Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not. This year, I'm going with a fitness goal rather than weight loss. If I can just keep in decent shape while juggling everything else, that will be an accomplishment. :D

Source
2. I also have some personal relationship goals that I won't go into too much. They're basically just trying to keep in better contact with my teenage brothers and talk to them more, call my grandparents more often, things like that. 

1. Um...I don't have any more, so I'll go with just be more happy and positive in general. :D

What are your Top Ten 2014 Goals?

12 comments :

  1. lol that last photo you used is quite amusing xD

    Anyways, great list! You've got some awesome, ambitious plans going on for 2014, best of luck with them :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got around to reading The Mortal Instruments last year. One of my most favorite series. Nice teaser choice.

    My TT @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I hope you achieve your goals. Especially your social media. That would be impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tease! And awesome set of resolutions!! Good luck with them all!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice balance of bookish, bloggish and personal! Good luck to you this 2014! And congrats on your publishing! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome goals!
    I hope you complete every single one <3
    Good luck!
    Here's Our TTT
    Doris @ OABR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I love that quote, it encompasses all of Jace's sexy arrogance, and fits him to a T!

    You have some really great goals for this year, too. I hope you'll manage to reach each and every one of them! I don't know how blogger works, but with my blog, I can make each post show up automatically in my Twitter feed, my FB page and on Google +. I don't use LinkedIn, but I believe it's possible to have automatic posts there, too.

    Thanks for stopping by earlier. Happy Tuesday.

    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those are some impressive goals for the year! Good luck with your publishing and sales goals -- I wish you great success! (And good luck with the weight loss too... I can certainly relate!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm impressed! I would love to expand my social media reach... I'd love to see some posts on how this is going and how your techniques work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting all those books published is awesome! Great goals!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some amazing goals and I can't wait to watch you achieve all of them! 100,000 sales, goodness! You can do it! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you about the sitting at a computer problem and the fitness goal. I've started weight lifting again, so I might actually increase/stay the same weight, but I'm hoping to lessen the fat and increase the muscle, haha

    ReplyDelete