Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Welcome 2017!

Good morning, Lovely Followers!

How were everyone's holidays? Mine were fantabulous! Lots of family, fun, giftgiving. LOTS of food. Still working our way through it.

So it's been a while since I wrote a blog post. I thought ushering in 2017 would be a good time to write one. I'm actually super excited for this coming year.

The past few years, I haven't been nearly as productive with my writing as I would like. I'm hoping to change that this year, both in terms of production and in terms of marketing.

I have a list of goals for this year, and they're typical things you've seen from me before: read x amount of books, write x amount of books, sell x amount of books. Some personal things, etc. I'll list the bookish goals below.

But the main thing that I'm doing differently this year is that I'm going to use my blog to help keep me accountable to my reading and writing goals. Each Friday, my blog post will contain a Week in Review section, in which I'll list progress toward all goals. That way I'm keeping track of what I'm getting done and my audience can keep me accountable.

Source
So here are my bookish goals:

1. Write 9 books. I know, I know, that sounds like a ton. And honestly, I'm aiming high here no matter how you slice it. But I have one project ready to publish that I'm dealing with some legal issues about, and two more that are nearly finished, and two more that are at least partially finished or at least outlined and I just have to get the words on the page. So it's really not 9 projects started from scratch. Most are things I want to finally finish and release.

2. Write 12 (or more) short stories, which obviously works out to one a month. This goal serves two purposes: 1) I'm extremely long-winded, not great at short stories. I'm hoping to teach myself to get a better handle on this format. 2) If I do one or more a month (and I intend to do some holiday stories) then I'll have a handy collection (hopefully) by the time the holidays roll around next year. I've always wanted to do holiday collections, but of course when you don't think about it until October or November, well...you know how it is. ;D

3. Sell a million copies. Again, this is a very vague goal and I'm not going to go into details about how I'll accomplish this. However, I have been working on a marketing plan for the past six months or so, but haven't fully implemented it yet. I will be writing posts about what I'm doing and how well it's working out. But in terms of numbers, I figure I might as well shoot for the stars, right?

4. Read 24 books. That's considerably smaller than my reading goals for the year generally are, but I read a lot fewer books than that in 2016 (11 to be exact) and with all this writing I have to do, I'll be lucky to get two books read a month. I'm hoping to read one fiction and one non-fiction each month.

5. Run a Triathalon. I've been trying to get into better physical shape and I still have a LONG way to go, so this probably won't happen until summer or fall, but I'm training now and gearing up. ;D

I have a few other personal goals, but I'm not going to mention them on this blog. These are the biggest, most relevant ones.

So that's pretty much it. Come back tomorrow for Insecure Writers Support Group. And everyone have a fabulous first week of 2017!

What are your New Years Resolutions?

3 comments :

  1. A triathlon! That is ambition. And I was just considering a 10K.
    Hope your learn the short story format. One a month is very achievable.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't even do a 10k right now, Alex. If I manage that, I'll call it a good year. ;D Thanks!

      Delete
  2. What great goals! When you first said write 9 books, I was thinking from scratch! Having things in the works gives you a head-start. Good luck with your writing and I hope you sell a million!

    ReplyDelete