Wednesday, January 4, 2017

IWSG for 2017: Writing Rules and New Years Resolutions

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day.
Details HERE and as always thanks to our wonderful host, Alex J. Cavanaugh

Being the first month of a new year, I'm sure this will get said a lot, but I think the thing I'm most insecure about right now is sticking to my New Years Resolutions. Suffice it to say, the past few years I've made goals but attained almost none of them. Of course that's because I let things get in the way of working toward them. 

I'm in a better position and mindset to accomplish my goals than I have been in previous years, so I'm more optimistic than ever, but of course there's always the fear of failure, especially because we all tend to put some much pressure on ourselves in January. 

But one thing I've learned this past year is just never to throw in the towel. Even if you don't achieve your goals, working steadily on them will yield better results than we can generally conceive of. So that's what I plan to do. And maybe, just maybe, I'll achieve one or two of my lofty writing resolutions. 

January Question: What writing rule do you wish you'd never heard of?

Hm. This is a tough one for me. I don't generally take a negative attitude toward any writing "rule," whether I employ it or not. I suppose my only response is that I don't treat any writing "rule" like a hard and fast rule. If I tried to stay within such a rigid structure, I'd go crazy. So I guess all writing rules are ones I wish I'd never heard of, but it's not a problem for me because I never go out of my way to adhere to them. 

Source
What are you insecure about this month?

12 comments :

  1. There are so many "rules" out there that if you try to follow them all it would be impossible to actually write anything. Looking at them as "suggestions" is a much better idea.

    IWSG January

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thanks for dropping by! Happy writing in 2017!

      Delete
  2. That's a great way to look at it.
    Even if you miss a goal, just reset.
    Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And rules are there to be broken too :) It's nice to know how everyone else writes, but I agree that there are so many different methods that if you tried to do them all you'd never get anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Deborah. So you should know the rules, but not necessarily follow them. Love it! :D

      Delete
  4. I think the "rule" is that you learn the rules so that you can break them! I don't think any writer is qualified enough to tell other writers that there's only one way that will work. Because as soon as someone does that, someone else has success by doing exactly what that author said NOT to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah good point. It never fails that someone breaks major rules and sells a million copies, lol. Here's hoping it'll be us in 2017! ;D

      Delete
  5. Hi LK - just write and find your voice and then let the words roll ... I can't do rules - yes if some expert corrects them then fine - but I've had one experience and wasn't too happy with that - still I know what to expect now ... there are some common sense rules and those are fine - but don't completely mess the writer up ... Happy New Year - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Hilary! Thanks so much. Happy New Year to you as well! :D

      Delete
  6. Excellent point about your goals and the rules!
    I've heard the word, guidelines, a lot for these posts. :)
    Thank you!
    Heather M. Gardner
    Co-host, IWSG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Heather. Happy New Year! ;D

      Delete