Monday, January 23, 2017

The State of the Publishing Industry in 2017

Source
Good morning and Happy Monday! How was everyone's weekend? Good, I hope. Mine was, well, semi-productive, but I also had some fun family things going on. It's been very snowy in Utah the past week or two. We're getting far and away more snow than we did last year (which is actually a good thing) but it makes going out kind of hard.

Anyway, I actually just want to share an article with you today. I follow Kristine Kathryn Rusch via email and this landed in my inbox this past week. Honestly, I don't often read blog posts that land in my inbox. As wonderful as I'm sure they all are, I just don't often have the time. But something made me open this one and I'm glad I did.

It's a fascinating article about the state of the publishing business. The numbers for the the final quarter of last year are coming in, and they're revealing some interesting trends.

Some teasers: 

1) For next year, if you have the option for your books to be in brick and mortar stores (not all of us do) make sure and get them there BEFORE the holiday season hits.
2) Did you know Amazon is building brick and mortar stores? I totally didn't.

The reason for both of these things is the same, and really fascinating. Based on information that's come in recently about book consumer habits.

This will probably be both relevant and interesting to anyone who plans to sell books in 2017, especially indies, so I'd encourage you to take a gander. I read the article like three times, just trying to absorb all the info. So, here it is:


Happy Monday!

2 comments :

  1. I'd heard Amazon was opening physical stores. Odd move - we'll see how it pans out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for sure. I hadn't heard that before reading this article. Very interesting. Will definitely keep an eye on that development. :D

      Delete