Monday, January 30, 2017

January is Ending: The Number One Way to Keep Accomplishing Your Goals

So January is coming to a close and I'm taking stock of my month. The first month of 2017. At this point, statistically most people (like 75-90%) who made New Years Resolutions have already dropped them like Charlie Brown's rock.

I actually haven't, and I'm proud of myself for that. But did I accomplish everything I wanted to in January.

Another no. I wanted to finish the draft of my WIP by the end of January, and while I've made good progress, I'm only roughly half way done.

I also wanted to write one short story this month on top of my other writing. Yeah, kinda choked on that one. It took me most of the month to even come up with a viable idea. I think I have one now, but the fact remains I didn't get it written in the 30 day period I was aiming for.

The same is true of some of my other personal goals. I definitely made progress, but not quite as much as I was hoping.

And do I say this to be negative or feel sorry for myself? Of course not. Quite the opposite. The fact of the matter is, I've done more writing this month than I did in the last six months of 2016 combined. Even if I don't manage 12 short stories, if I manage like...3, it'll still be more short stories than I written in the past 3 years. (That's about how long it's been since I wrote my last one.) And while I didn't make as much progress as I would have liked, the fact is, I still made progress.

And I think this is the main problem most people experience who give up so quickly on their resolutions--be they physical, productive, financial, or anything else. They assume that if they can't do 200% of their goals immediately, it means they'll never be able to, and they'll never reach them, so they give up.

But the thing is, you have to train your brain to work toward any goal. I'm still re-training my brain to get used to this amount of writing. As much as I accomplished on each of my goals this month, I'll probably do time and a half or twice that next month. As you train yourself to do more, you'll be able to do your tasks more quickly and efficiently. But as with anything, you have to build up to it.

So what's the number one way to keep accomplishing your goals?

Just keep on keeping on. 


Even if you only did 50%, 10%, 1% of what you would have liked, just keep pressing forward. Decide you'll do that much again this month. No! Decide you'll do more. If you only did 1% this month, do 2% next month. Or 5%. Or more. Then press on from there. The brain is an amazing organ and it adapts more quickly than most people realize. You'll improve at an amazing rate, if you just keep trying. Bottom line?

Just don't give up. If you're still pursing your goals, you're already a head of 3/4 of the population. And you'll be J.K. Rowling before you know it. ;D

Happy Monday!


4 comments :

  1. Most people hit the ground running so hard they run out of steam. Goals take time and people want instant gratification.
    Keep after yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Alex! I intend to. Right back at ya! ;D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! So relatable. I wrote a similar one today. I may not have accomplished what I intended, but that's okay because I also learned something which isn't as tangible even if it's as important and that's often hard to see.

    ReplyDelete