Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thoughts for Thursday--Beliefs

A TO Z CHALLENGE

Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! This is my first year participating. Basically, we post every day except Sunday, which in April means we'll finish on the 30th. We blog about something each day which starts with the corresponding letter of the alphabet. So, day 1=A, day 2=B, etc. Visit the A to Z blog for more details.

My theme is writing and related bookish things. A pretty vague theme, I'll admit, but as this is a writing/bookish blog, I thought I'd clarify.

Today's letter: D 
D is for Dragons.



One of my WIPs is a high fantasy that deals with dragons. Actual, physical, flying, lizard-like creatures. So, you can imagine I've had dragons on the brain a lot lately. When I was trying to think of my post for D, I thought of several things I could post about concerning dragons, but most required a lot of research I just didn't have time for.

I started thinking about different types of dragons that might pop up in stories. Really only high fantasy or fantasy genres will have actual dragons in them. But what else might (figuratively) be a dragon in the story. It could be a demon--whether a physical one, or something more like a skeleton-in-the-closet sort of thing. It could be a dark secret. It could be something dangerous or violent popping up in the character's world.

Consider the following definitions from dictionary.com:

1. A mythical monster generally represented as a huge, winged reptile with crested head and enormous claws and teeth, often spouting fire.
2. Archaic. A huge serpent or snake.
3. Bible. A large animal, possibly a large snake or crocodile; the dragon, Satan.
4. A fierce, violent person.

What else do you think dragon could refer to in a story? 

Thoughts for Thursday

Thoughts for Thursday is a new meme hosted by Musings on Fantasia and LKHill.  In this meme, we share thoughts or quotes that we know or have recently come across. Each week there is a specific subject or theme. These can be quotes from books, quotes by famous people, (quotes by YOU, perhaps ;D). Anything from anywhere is game, though we do ask that you keep your quote to a few sentences at most. Don't quote, for example, entire passages of a book or essay. These can be funny quips, cool sayings, hair-raising antidotes, movie lines, any kind of quote you can think of!

Just have fun, collect awesome sayings by awesome people, and try to be inspired!

As this past week was Easter, I thought it would be an appropriate week to do a theme on  beliefs/religion!


"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."--Albert Einstein

"A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."--C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

"Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life."--Buddha

"Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays."--Soren Kierkegaard

"Stand for something or you'll fall for anything."--Gordon B. Hinckley
What's your favorite quote about religion? Do you have one to add?

5 comments :

  1. D is definitely for dragons and I like them all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Dragons too! Have resisted writing about them, though.

    Jemima at Jemima's blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dragons. :) And quotes :)

    Favorite quotes about religion... I'll try to narrow it down a bit...
    "When we walk to the edge of all the light we have, and take that step out into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen - there will be something solid to step on, or we will be taught to fly."
    --CMS Journal

    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

    "I believe in Christ like I believe in the sun. Not just because I see it, but beacuse by it I
    can see everything else."
    --Anon

    (checking in from A-Z! Nice to meet you!)
    http://jenelleschmidt.com/blog

    ReplyDelete