Monday, April 1, 2013

Teaser Tuesday, A to Z Challenge, Day 2, + RMQ

A to Z Challenge

Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! This is my first year participating. Basically, we post every day except Sunday, which in April means we'll finish on the 30th. We blog about something each day which starts with the corresponding letter of the alphabet. So, day 1=A, day 2=B, etc. Visit the A to Z blog for more details.

My theme is writing and related bookish things. A pretty vague theme, I'll admit, but as this is a writing/bookish blog, I thought I'd clarify.

Today's letter: B 
B is for Back story.

Source
Back story is essential for every story and character. The major worry with writing back story is that it can become an information dump. Back story should be revealed little by little, hopefully coupled with something relevant in the current story. If you can possibly link the back story and present story lines, the entire thing will flow much better and seem complete. 

If you ever find yourself writing more than a couple of paragraphs of back story, it's time to re-think things. Ask yourself how you can reveal this little by little, and couple it with something that's happening that would make it relevant. If you always do that, you'll never be accused of "telling" back story or the scandalous (among writers) information dump.

In my opinion, back story including myths, legends, and histories, are some of the most enjoyable things to write. This is definitely something to have fun with! ;D

Do YOU have any tips for writing memorable back story?


Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
Today's teaser is from Stephenie Meyers' The Host. The film is out but I wanted to read the book before seeing it. So, even though I really shouldn't have started another book this week...I did anyway. :D
Source

"There was a death sentence in every pair of eyes.Melanie saw all this and, though grudgingly, she had to admit that I was right. At this moment, her beloved humans were at their worst--like the newspaper stories we'd seen in the abandoned shack. We were looking at killers.We should have been wiser; we should have died yesterday."


Random Movie Quotes (RMQ)

Last time's RMQ was: "I missed the part where that's my problem." This was said by Tobey Maguire playing Peter Parker in the first Spiderman movie. Alex Cavanaugh guessed this one. (Shocking! :D)

Today's RMQ is:
"The first boy I ever kissed ended up in a coma for three weeks. I can still feel him inside my head. It's the same with you."
One point for character, one for film, one for actor. Any guesses? 

7 comments :

  1. Ohhh great teaser! I've seen this book around so much.

    My Teaser HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, less is more for backstory, just a few offhand references where they're important and the reader can absorb the meaning well. One trick that I have to admit I like for backstory is having another character start asking questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy quote! X-men, said by Rogue, played by Anna Paquinn. (Think I spelled her name wrong though.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that quote! Love X Men.

    Great article for the B!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To know your character's backstory is to love them. But to read a character's backstory is the death of a good book. Analyze every word to ensure the reader must have that detail to understand your story. If not, well, there is always the delete key. Oh and sprinkle, sprinkle, sprinkle.

    ReplyDelete