Monday, April 22, 2013

T is for Time Travel, Top Ten Tuesday, and Teaser Tuesday! (Would'ja look how that worked out!)

A TO Z CHALLENGE

Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! This is my first year participating. Basically, we post every day except Sunday, which in April means we'll finish on the 30th. We blog about something each day which starts with the corresponding letter of the alphabet. So, day 1=A, day 2=B, etc. Visit the A to Z blog for more details.

My theme is writing and related bookish things. A pretty vague theme, I'll admit, but as this is a writing/bookish blog, I thought I'd clarify. 

Today's letter: T

T is for Time Travel.

Source
Okay, obviously not every book requires a time travel element, but as someone who's used it in her story, I can tell you that it's all kinds of fun to deal with. You can play with timelines, have your characters go back in time and change something that will affect the future, or send people to observe history--all in the same book, of course. (You can make your parents way cooler than they used to be. Just sayin'.)

And you'll always have someone that will point out the implausibility of your time travel scheme, but since it's not something our society has discovered--YET!--who's to say? If you do your due dilligence and it sounds at all likely, most people will suspend belief far enough to enjoy your story.

So, as a literary device (and, you know, a lifestyle) I highly recommend time travel!

What do YOU think about time travel in writing?

Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

 Top Ten Books I Thought I'd Like MORE/LESS Than I Did
(All covers courtesy of goodreads.com unless otherwise marked.)

Books I Liked Less:

10. Catcher in the Rye--I read this in high school and was excited because it's such a talked-about classic. Yeah, really disappointed. REALLY don't like the book at all.



9. Basically anything by John Steinbeck--I may be the only English major in the world who HATES Steinbeck. *dodges rotten tomatoes*. I know, I know, it's sacrilege, but in my defense, I just ended up with lots of teachers that liked him, so I've read all but one of his popular works. After reading so much of his work, I can say without hesitation that his writing is just NOT for me.
amazon.ca
8.The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane--this was recommended to me by a friend and based on the blurb, it sounded like exactly the kind of thing I'd like. The story was okay. The writing was...pretty good. It just didn't wow me. I found myself bored more than once.



7. His Excellency: George Washington--this non-fiction was a DNF for me. I bought it on discount because I wanted to learn more about George Washington, but I found the writing style to be sprawling and difficult to follow. Plus, the author's politics and personal opinions about the history (which are often not flattering) bleed into the narrative blatantly. I don't think he even pretended to be objective.



6. Anna Karenina--I just read this last year. I hadn't read Tolstoy before and had no idea what the story was about. I'm actually not sorry I read it, just so I can say that I did. But the story was slow and depressing. Anna's character is utterly unsympathetic and quite annoying. It took a lot for me to finish it.



5. The Millenium Trilogy--I've ranted about this one before. I really liked the whodunit mystery in book 1, but that's pretty much all I liked. I read all of books 2 and 3, hoping the series would redeem itself. It didn't. Among other things, the author set us up for a certain ending early on, then seemed to change his mind half way through. Really not impressive.



4. Seraphina. This one was pretty good. Can't complain about anything. Good story, good characters, good writing, but it just felt too cutsy for me. Almost more middle grade than YA. I would highly recommend it to children, but it just wasn't compelling enough for me.


Books I Liked More:

3. Daughter of Smoke and Bone--I'm not an Angel/Demon fan, but I highly enjoyed this book!


2. Big in Japan--There isn't much in the subject matter of this one--Japan, sumo wrestling, etc.--that I would normally consider myself interested in, but this book was fantastic! SO entertaining!

1. Fairy Godmothers, Inc.--Just read an ARC of this one. It's not technically out just yet, but in the next week or so, I think. I thought it would be cutsy and aimed at tweens, which it probably is, but it was SO funny! I laughed hysterically through the entire thing and dearly hope Jenniffer Wardel keeps writing. She's got a definite gift for light humor!




What Top Ten Books did you love/hate more than you expected?

Teaser Tuesday

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read

• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Today's Teaser is from Dissension by Adrienne Monson:
Source


"The woman was sputtering with blood, trying not to choke. She was waking up, and Samantha knew more horrendous torture would ensue. She could not stomach any more of it. Impulsively, she strode to the power panel, threw the main switch, and immediately found herself shrouded in impenetrable darkness."

What are your reading this week?

10 comments :

  1. I really want to read Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Fab list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree about Catcher in the Rye and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Didn't care much one way or the other about the first, actively hated the second. (I did really like Deliverance Dane & Anna Karenina though!). Nice list!

    Lisa
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? Steinbeck? :P he's one of my favorite authors, but I understand why you don't like him anyway.

    I read the Millenium trilogy in Norwegian, and I am always wondering if there are a lot of things that got lost in translation. I loved the whole series, and maybe that's also partly because I recognized places they were going, both in Sweden and in Switzerland, and because I knew exactly what was being discussed when in pertained to Swedish politics and culture.

    Great list - Daugther of Smoke and Bones is on my TBR, another one I really should get to start reading soon.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT post earlier.

    Have a terrific Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daughter of Smoke & ones ade my list as well, I really didn't think I would like that one but ended up loving it.
    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't like Catcher in the Rye either and I loved Smoke and Bone.

    Rochelle @ Books Like Stars

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't much care for Catcher in the Rye or the Millennium trilogy either, but I did like Anna Karenina overall. I had to read it for a class in college. I probably wrote some terrible paper to accompany it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Done right, time travel is a lot of fun. So many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BTTF took time travel and made it great, especially with how they handled the subsequent trips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard such good things about Daughter of Smoke and Bone, but I still haven't read that one. I really need to get on that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah so glad someone mentioned Catcher in the Rye! LOL Oh no on Steinbeck! I really like him.

    Thanks for stopping by Literary, etc!

    ReplyDelete