Thursday, April 25, 2013

W is for World-Building + Follow Friday Blog Hop

A TO Z CHALLENGE

Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! This is my first year participating. Basically, we post every day except Sunday, which in April means we'll finish on the 30th. We blog about something each day which starts with the corresponding letter of the alphabet. So, day 1=A, day 2=B, etc. Visit the A to Z blog for more details.

My theme is writing and related bookish things. A pretty vague theme, I'll admit, but as this is a writing/bookish blog, I thought I'd clarify. 

Today's letter: W
Source


W is for World Building.

World building is an essential part of any story. Last year I attended the annual fall conference of the League of Utah Writers where Brandon Sanderson taught one of the classes. He was talking about World Building, specifically in fantasy worlds, though I think most of his comments would be appropriate for almost any world.

In truth, even a contemporary setting in our world is still a world that needs building. Whatever is familiar to your characters may not be familiar to your audience, so you have to build it until it is.

Always think of the world of your story as the most important character. It figures in every scene. It's visible to the reader, but only unconsciously so, which makes it the most important and subtle character in your book. 


Follow Friday Blog Hop


Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.


The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs! 

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!


Q: Is there a song that reminds you of a book? Or vice versa? What is the song & the book?


Just recently I've discovered the awesomeness that is "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark by Fall Out Boy. This song reminds me SO much of Game of Thrones. I would love someone to make a youtube fan video after season 3 and put it to this song. It talks says, "light 'em up" and talks about messed up childhoods and stuff. Plus, it's got an awesome beat. Totally loving this song. I think it goes really well with the Song of Fire and Ice story line! :D

Best line of song: In the end all things collide, my childhood spat back out the monster that you see..."




What songs make YOU think of books?

19 comments :

  1. Hopping through. I love that Fall Out Boy song. I didn't realize you lived in Utah - or perhaps I've just forgotten. Are you in Salt Lake? DH is from Woods Cross.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy everyone who has had the privilege of attending a Brandon Sanderson class or lecture. I've watched many hours of his stuff via the web, but it's just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on an admitting thing when it comes to Game of Thrones (which forever I thought said Thorns) I HAVE NOT SEEN THE SHOW or read the books. Are they any good?

    New Follower
    Sami @ The Bookish Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard the song nor read the books, but I will be reading them soon, when they become age appropriate for me :) New follower, check out my FF at www.myviewpointonbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read the book but I have to say, I really like that song.
    Old Follower!
    Thanks for stopping by My FF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't read this series or heard of the song, but good choices! They seem to fit together well!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sia's Titanium, a song about staying strong is great for any character going through challenges. Cool song choice and I really want to read the Game of Thrones books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that song and I can definitely see a connect with Game of Thrones. I really want to see some combination of the two, now!

    Thanks for stopping by my FF! I followed you back via GFC.

    ~Andrea @ Beauty but a Funny Girl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Currently watching The Game Of Thrones.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/feature-follow_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know that Fall Out Boy song. Sadly I haven't read GoT either. I'm so far behind. Thanks for visiting my F&FF. Old follower.

    LisaILJ @ I’ll Tumble for YA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Love, love, love this song. Fabulous choice.:)

    New followers via GFC.

    Thanks,
    Sandra

    SSBF Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a song that reminds me of one of my own books - does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never read Game of Thrones of see the show, but I can see how that song would totally work for it. Awesome pick. I had a terrible time thinking of one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was absolutely obsessed with this song a week ago! Haven't read the series, but if I ever do, I'll make sure to listen to this while I'm reading.

    Thanks for stopping by! Old Follower.
    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. I completely agree with your choice of songs! Thanks for stopping by my blog! New follower via Linky
    Brittany @ Spare Time Book blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't think of any songs that remind me of books right now... though I'm sure I'll now think of one just before I fall asleep later tonight!

    I really used to hate world-building... I just don't love technical stuff. Thankfully, I married a wonderful man who is VERY good at the technical side of things and more than willing to help me think through world-building, and it's far more fun now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this song! Great choice and I think it would be an awesome fan vid for Game of Thrones!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I took part in the A to Z but I never got as far as your blog... bummer coz it's really cool!
    I'm a new follower via FF. Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out my blog too :)
    Have a great week!
    Suzy Turner, YA Author

    ReplyDelete