Pages
- Home
- Welcome!
- Current Contest: Desolate Mantle
- Giveaways!
- Advice for Writers
- Visit My Website!
- Crime Fiction: The Botanist
- High Fantasy: Dragon Magic
- The Walking Dead!!!
- Thoughts For Thursday
- Signings and Events
- Contact and Links
- Dystopian: Interchron Series
- Historical Fiction: Kremlins Series
- Crime Fiction: Street Games Series
Saturday, April 6, 2013
A to Z Challenge: F is for FOIL.
A TO Z CHALLENGE
Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! This is my first year participating. Basically, we post every day except Sunday, which in April means we'll finish on the 30th. We blog about something each day which starts with the corresponding letter of the alphabet. So, day 1=A, day 2=B, etc. Visit the A to Z blog for more details.
My theme is writing and related bookish things. A pretty vague theme, I'll admit, but as this is a writing/bookish blog, I thought I'd clarify.
Today's letter: F
| Source |
F is for FOIL.
Anyone know what a FOIL is? I remember someone asking this in a religion class years ago, and I was the geek that totally knew what it was. :D
Well, I'd argue that even if a character's main purpose isn't to be a foil, you can still make good use of the foil device. If you want to show how good one character is, contrast them with a bad character. Make your hero better and your villain badder. Works every time.
| Source |
So, use foils to heighten and emphasize characterization. It will make your readers love your heroes more passionately and hate your villains with more gusto. :D Happy writing!
Anyone have any great examples of FOILS?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
I have never seen that episode..it sounds cute! :) I like the idea of a contrasting character..can't think of a great example at the moment though!:)
ReplyDeleteNever heard that term either. How about the Odd Couple?
ReplyDeleteGood post. New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.
ReplyDeleteSylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/
What a great post! I've actually never heard of this term before, but now I'm going to start thinking about it when developing my characters. I'm a new follower from the A-Z Challenge :)
ReplyDeleteAnd here I was hoping that First, Outside, Inside, Last was finally going to apply to real life
ReplyDelete