Saturday, April 27, 2013

A to Z Challenge: X is for Xenophobia

A TO Z CHALLENGE

Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! This is my first year participating. Basically, we post every day except Sunday, which in April means we'll finish on the 30th. We blog about something each day which starts with the corresponding letter of the alphabet. So, day 1=A, day 2=B, etc. Visit the A to Z blog for more details.

My theme is writing and related bookish things. A pretty vague theme, I'll admit, but as this is a writing/bookish blog, I thought I'd clarify. 

Today's letter: X
Source


X is for Xenophobia.

So there are absitively, posolutely NO literary terms that begin with the letter X. So, I randomly came up with the word 'xenophobia,' which means fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign.

It struck me how most bookish people are simply NOT xenophobic. Granted, this applies to the page, rather than the tangible life of the reader or writer, but we are all so intrigued by what might be, rather than what is. We like to learn about and envision exciting new worlds and exciting new people, as well as conflicts that are not and will never be our own.

We are intrigued by these things, which by definition makes us the opposite of xenophobic. I'd totally love to get a poster or bumper sticker that reads, "Un-xenophobic and Proud!"

Who's with me?

4 comments :

  1. Excellent term and a little interesting that it starts with "X"--the most negatively-interpreted letter of the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for finding out about other cultures, not to mention creating my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in for one of those t-shirts! Interesting thoughts on xenophobia, and I think that by and large you're right. There are always those unfortunate exceptions, of course, but writers are a curious lot.

    ReplyDelete