Monday, April 8, 2013

A to Z Challenge: H + Teaser Tuesday: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

A TO Z CHALLENGE

Welcome to the A to Z Challenge! This is my first year participating. Basically, we post every day except Sunday, which in April means we'll finish on the 30th. We blog about something each day which starts with the corresponding letter of the alphabet. So, day 1=A, day 2=B, etc. Visit the A to Z blog for more details.

My theme is writing and related bookish things. A pretty vague theme, I'll admit, but as this is a writing/bookish blog, I thought I'd clarify. 

Today's letter: H 
H is for History.

Source
While I do write historical fiction, that's not the kind of history I'm referring to here. Whenever you write a story, create a character, or build a world, history is an important thing to consider. History is part of identity--be it an individual, a culture, a society, or a planet. Create a history for who or whatever you're writing and keep in mind how that history will affect them. It will color their personalities, their morals (or lack thereof) their attitudes, and their decisions.

Make the history detailed and interesting. Reveal it bit by bit (more on this on my back story post) and you will have a three-dimensional, very relatable story. 

Any suggestions or thoughts about creating histories?



Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

My teaser is from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.


Source
Shadows told the truth, and Izil's told that a creature clung to his back, invisible to the eye. It was a hulking, barrel-chested thing, its arms clenched tight around his neck. This is what curiosity had gotten him: The thing was riding him like a mule. Karou didn't understand how it had come about; she only knew that Izil had made a wish for knowledge, and this had been the form of its fulfillment. Brimstone warned her that powerful wishes could go powerfully awry , and here was the evidence. 
"He just wants a taste. Just a tiny taste." 
"A taste?" She blinked. Their tea had not yet arrived. "Of what?" 
"Of you, wish-daughter. Just a lick. He promises not to bite." 
Karou's stomach turned. "Uh, no."

What are YOU reading? 

5 comments :

  1. Hey, my teaser comes from the same book!

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Just read Vonnie's tease from this!

    Here's my Teaser

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this isn't what your post is about... but History of the World is my absolute favorite board game ever! SO sad it's out of print :(

    And yes, history is extremely important when writing, particularly when writing fantasy. I start with a timeline. And sometimes I'll even draft bits of short stories (1-10 pages) for various important events so that I can remain consistent as I write.

    Happy a-zing!
    http://jenelleschmidt.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Liesel! I LOVE Laini Taylor. Lips Touch Three Times is one of my favorite books. I'm really enjoying her Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, too. Such an imagination!

    You're right that character histories are so important, and the trick is to know how much to include in the story to keep it moving forward, and what to leave out.

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say you'd have to do a lot of research to write historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete