Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Hobbit Movie Review, Top Ten Tuesday--Settings + Blog Tour Stops

Today's Blog Tour Stops are:


1) Review at A Bookish Whimsy
2) Author Interview at Downright Dystopian

Hop over and check them out! Be sure to thank the bloggers for all their hard work!


The Hobbit Movie Review

imdb.com

So I finally got around to seeing The Hobbit film. (Yea!) I gotta admit, my expectations were kinda sorta low. I thought it would be good, but I didn't think it would be great. My thinking that had nothing to do with the actual movie or how good a job they were doing on it, but more with my own preference. While I loved The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, I only liked The Hobbit book, so I figured the films would produce a similar result.

Yeah...totally loved it! They did such a great job! The thing I loved most was that they didn't leave anything out. While the LOTR trilogy were awesome films, but they still had to cut a lot out because they only got one film per book. In this case, they get to do three volumes for one book, and it's shorter than each of the LOTR volumes was! That means they can go into a lot of detail and spend lots of time on each aspect of the journey. 

It's a long film--nearly 3 hours, but at one point (just when they were leaving Rivendale) I glanced at the clock on my phone and it had already been 2 hours! My mouth dropped open. It felt like 10 minutes. Maybe that's because it was so early in the adventure. I knew there was tons to come so I couldn't fathom that the film was two thirds of the way done already! 
image: philstar.com

I was very impressed with Martin Freeman. At the very start of the film, we see a few minutes of old Bilbo (Ian Holm) and Frodo (Elijah Wood) conversing before it goes into Bilbo's story. I had to smile at seeing Ian Holm. I thought to myself that this was Bilbo and no one could be the character like he could. But Freeman does an awesome job! He's very funny and personifies the wide-eyed innocence and hilarious indignation of Bilbo wonderfully.


source: thehobbit.sqpn.com

And I gotta say, for a dwarf, Thorin Oakenshield was pretty hot. I know a lot of Tolkien purists took issue with that. All dwarves should be heavy-set and bulbous-nosed, and Richard Armitage's Thorin definitely better looking than that. But hey! I'm a girl. I didn't mind in the least! ;D

Anyway, great film. Does kind of cut off in the middle of the action, but that's to be expected when a book is arbitrarily chopped into three installments. The effects are great, the adventures exciting and straight from the novel, and they bring in a good amount of foreshadowing toward the trilogy, along with characters we love from it. (Elrond, Galadriel, Saruman). If you liked the trilogy, you'll love it! Can't wait for installment number 2! :D


Top Ten Tuesday



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week they will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top Ten Settings I'd Like to See More Of

(Totally love this topic, by the way!)

10. Castles--everyone knows I'm all about the medieval lifestyle. The more castles the better!

source: medievalcastlescc6.blogspot.com
9. Isolated Places--whether a deserted island or just the wilderness away from civilization, lots of great stories take place amidst great isolation. I think it's because places such as these hold both great adventure and a lot of inner reflection. Adventure plus literary fiction? I'm there!

source: lostpedia.wikia.com
8. Grand Estates--Downton Abbey. Need I say more?

source: dailymail.co.uk
7. Tel'aran'rhiod--This is the "world of dreams" in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. I so wish Robert Jordan hadn't passed away so he could write more stories about this place. It's freakin' awesome!

source: mizutori.deviantart.com
6. Middle Earth--another one that will never be because the author has passed away, but what I can I say? I finally saw the Hobbit movie this weekend and it put me in a really Middle Earth mood. ;D

source: lotrovault.ign.com
5. By-gone Cities--I'm not big on contemporary or anything that takes place primarily in a city, but if we're talking historical fiction (or medieval fantasy for that matter), well that's a whole other ball game. Can't get enough of that!

source: wellthatsdifferent.wordpress.com
4. Winter's Heart--I'm a big fan of the ice wall in George R.R. Martin's A Song of fire and Ice series. Though I wouldn't want to live it, I always think stories set in frozen, snowy locations are dramatic and exotic.

source: madnessletters.com
3. Ghost Cities--there are lots of dystopian films that take place in burnt out cities and ghost towns. I'd like to see more books with these settings.

source: whiggles.landofwhimsy.com
2. Space--I'd like to get back to some great, old-fashioned sci-fi. It's been awhile.

source: wallpapervortex.com
1. Under Water--I'm collecting mermaid stories for my TBR and I'm going to go on a mermaid-binge of sorts during the summer months. Totally open to suggestions over here.

source: paulvincenti.com
How about you? What settings would you like to see more of?

Random Movie Quotes (RMQ)

Last week's RMQ was: "Grace has Bob's dead wife's heart!" This was said by Bonnie Hunt in the film, Return to Me. Great movie! This one was guessed by Christy of Christy Writes. Great job, Christy!

Today's RMQ is: 

"I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it. Guys I want a castle."

One point for character, one for actor, one for film. Any guesses?

16 comments :

  1. I haven't seen The Hobbit yet. Not sure I'll make it to the theater, but I can't wait to see it. You've made it sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with your assessment of the film. It was long, but when it ended, I wanted more.
    And Tangled! Said by Flynn/Eugene. No idea on the actor though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. More outer space books. What about a book with a grand estate on isolate planet in space? Okay, maybe combining various settings doesn't really work. But I'd read any of these. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree! Can't really get enough castles... :-D And under the sea - great idea! I think I've only read one book set under the sea, and it was really interesting - Dark Life, by Kat Falls. Would love to read more like that.

    New follower by the way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely dig stories that take place in ghost towns! They have the potential be both so epic and creepy. Outer space was one of my choices as well. There's just so much potential for amazing world-building there!

    Your quote was from the movie Tangled (loved it!). Spoken by Flynn Rider, played by Zachary Levi who was also Chuck in the TV series, Chuck. I <3 movie trivia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Castles and underwater, oh yes, there needs to be more of that. The rest are great ideas as well. Snowy locations can be fun, but for someone who hates winter and is actually frozen inside her house right now (yup it's true) I don't see myself reading much frozen world setting books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bygone cities - yes. I love the pictures you found to go with all of these.

    And I know what mean about Middle Earth. No more is possible, but we can't help wishing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got to see the film and who doesn't love castles?

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I think that Richard Armitage is gorgeous, but he always is! I love your list of settings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oo, can you make a post of your mermaid binge books?? I want to join in :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh good choices! I love castles! I also totally love the ice wall in the Game of Thrones books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I'd love a book set on a 'grand estate'! And castles! Fantastic list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Castles and Estates are always big wins for me. I'm not sure why, but they are. I loved your list. Thanks for stopping by my page.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this is a great list! I love the castles & estates. And more Middle Earth!? Yes, please.

    ReplyDelete