Sunday, January 27, 2013

Eye of the World Read-Along Week 6 + Blog Tour Stops

Today's blog tour stops include:

1)Review and Guest post at The Book Twins
2)Review and Spotlight at Reese's Reviews

Pop on over and see what these amazing bloggers have cooked up!


Welcome to week 6 of the Eye of the World read-along, hosted by Anya of On Starships and Dragonwings and Nrlymtl of Dab of Darkness.

1. Looks like Rand and Mat met another ally finally. What do you think of Master Gill? Do you think his hope in Thom is well placed?
<!–more–>
The gleeman is still so mysterious that it's hard to say whether Gill's trust is well-placed. I definitely hope it is. He seems like a good, loyal ally but I don't think we know him well enough to know for sure. But the fact that he's not skinny definitely bodes well. :D

Source



2. Loial the Ogier! How adorable right? We only get a brief glimpse into this new race, but what do you think? What part do you think he'll play in the story?

I freakin' LOVE the Ogier, especially Loial. His name is indicative of his character and he manages to be sweet and one-with-the-land without going all environmental-tree-hugger on everybody. The Ogier race is one that the more you get to know them, the more you love and respect them. I really like the description of how his eyebrows hang down to his chin. :D

3. During the rescue of Perrin and Egwene, did it seem like Lan was overly concerned about Nynaeve to anyone else? >.> <.<

Source
LOL. Kudos to you for picking up on this. The first time I read this in high school, I didn't pick up on it at all. Close to the end of the book there's a chapter where it's in-your-face obvious and I remember wondering if I'd skipped a chapter or something. Re-reading it, there are tells all over the place, but they're subtle and I was just too naive to catch them.

I did think the part where he almost went back for Nynaeve and Moiraine stopped him was very interesting. She used all his titles against him. As an author, I can totally see that that was a way to give the reader a glimpse of the awesomeness that is Lan. In terms of the story, though, it comes off as an insecurity thing on Moiraine's part. He's been by her side for twenty years, and after knowing Nynaeve only a few days (or is it weeks, now?) his loyalty is called into question to such an extent that she has to bring up all his oaths and titles of honor. Even that didn't make him snap too. It pulled him up short but he was saved from having to make an actual decision when Nynaeve came crashing through the trees atop Bela. (Yea Bela!) Very interesting indeed.

Source
4. The Dark One has been blamed for all sorts of things lately. Do you think that the Dark One is the root of Perrin's power like Moraine fears? How about Rand's?

Not according to Lan, and he seems to be in know about such things. I think he's right that things people don't understand or are otherwise afraid of get pigeon-holed as products of the Dark One. For me, I have trouble believing that anything not inherently evil--which neither Rand or Perrin are--is of the Dark One.

5. Very briefly Rand encounters a beggar who is obviously determined to find him specifically. Who do you think this is? What do you think is going to happen with this beggar in the future?

I can't remember for sure but I'm thinking Padan Fain? After their first encounter in Emond's Field before Bel Tine, Padan Fain doesn't remember to bathe very often ever again. He always seems content to slog around in the gutters with the rodents.

6. We learn a whole lot about Queen Morgase in this section, including getting to meet her in person! What do you think? Do you like the tradition of sending the royal children to study with the Aes Sedai and Warders?

I think it's an awesome tradition! I'd totally love to go do that. It seems to me that they're the most powerful people in the land, so sending would-be rulers to study under them would be prudent.

Source
7. Rand had quite an adventure in the palace there, wow! And we finally get to meet another Aes Sedai. What do you think of Elaida and her dark assessment of Rand's future? 

I still think it's hilarious that he fell into the palace garden. It's such a country-boy thing to do. Both bumpkin-headed and also kind of adorable in its innocence. (Sorry for hokey picture, but there isn't much fan art of this scene. :D)

Elaida's words to Rand gave me chills. What a disturbing thing to learn! That said, Elaida seems self-possessed and creepy to me. She doesn't seem like much of a Darkfriend, but she seems like the kind of person that's dangerous in spite of not being one. After all, she has the ear of the ruler of one of the most powerful nations in the world.

So glad they made it to Caemlyn! And the wolves slinking among Whitecloak ranks? Awesome! I remember the next couple of chapters...and I remember the ending, but I can't seem to remember how they get from A to B. I'm excited to re-discover it! :D

What are everyone else's the adventures in Caemlyn and among the Whitecloaks?

4 comments :

  1. I commented on the first one, but not sure if the comment stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bela's my girl. We're tight. I want to see this adventure through her eyes.

    That whole escape from the Whitecloaks was intense. Lan & Nynaeve were excellent. Perrin gets kudos for figuring out Byar's evil plan. I bet we run into Byar again. I hope he dies in an interesting way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe, awesome, I was worried I was completely misinterpreting some of those signs from Lan and getting my romance face on when I was supposed to be focused on the action! I'm not sure how that is going to work with his oaths and Moraine, but this'll be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3. Moiraine using his full name and title reminded me of when my mother would use my full name when she was angry with me, so I read it as her way of catching his attention and underlining her seriousness.

    7. I think you're correct that Elaida isn't a Darkfriend, but that she will some truly terrible stuff because she thinks it is the right thing to do: just like Child Byar! :(

    ReplyDelete