Monday, January 21, 2013

My Favorite Martian Blogfest + One Lovely Blog Award + Blog Tour Stops

I wrote my My Favorite Martian post a few days ago and then forgot to post it! Alex Cavanaugh reminded me and I squawked and had to go find it! Thanks Alex!

So I don't really have just one favorite alien! There are too many to love. I decided to focus on an old favorite of mine that most people may not remember. It came from my favorite episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation in season 5. I believe the episode was just called "Darmok." In the episode, the alien captain of another ship named Dathon kidnaps Picard in order to try and communicate with him. Because of his universal translater, Picard hear's Dathon's words in English, but not in the way we speak it. Dathon's people speak only in metaphor and allusion to historical events in his people's history. Picard has to figure out what these references mean (including one used over and over again, "Darmok and Jalad at Tenagra") in order to communicate with the alien captain and create peace between the two peoples. (Of course, there's also an evil monster on the planet they have to deal with, which makes for all kinds of stressed-out fun!)


I loved this episode and this alien because he seems like such a gentle giant, and he ends up giving his life so there can be peace between their two peoples. This episode was all about communication and empathy. What can I say?







Blog Tour stops for today are:

1) A review at Heather's Book Chatter and
2) A guest post on My Journey to Publication at Here's the Story
3) A review at Downright Dystopian




I was nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award. Normally I don't do awards on my blog, but with the blog tour, I need some fillers, so I decided to go for it!



Thanks so much to Megan of Megz Madd Read for nominating me! Here are the rules:


  • Include the blog award logo in your post
  • Thank the person who nominated you
  • Nominate 15 other bloggers and let them know about it
  • State seven random facts about yourself
So I'd like to nominate the following. These are all new or up-and-coming authors so you'd do well to follow them and watch for their debut novels!
7 Random Facts about me:

1) I have eleven siblings, ten of them younger than me.
2) I've played the piano since I was eleven
3) I love to bake
4) I live with two of my sisters and my 2-year-old niece
5) I graduated from Weber State University
6) I'm going to Bear Lake for a week in May (yea!)
7) I love dark chocolate.

Off I go to let these bloggers know I've tagged them. Happy Monday, Everyone!

18 comments :

  1. And the one stop isn't up yet, but I follow her, so will catch later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great choice. I remember that episode. (I've only seen them all a dozen times!)
    Sorry, I have the first three comments...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, looks like the Cavanaugh clones are doing triple duty this morning! LOL

    Congrats on the award!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely choice and a lovely reason for choosing. I don't remember the episode, but I'll keep my eye out for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps oops, meant to say congratulations on the award! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one fellow blog hopper. Though I was hopping you'd choose Mork from Ork, Nannoo--Nanooo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the award. Thanks so much for your comment on my alien post. I'm sorry but I am not familiar with your alien. After reading your thoughts on him though, I would love to see that episode. Am now following you thru GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite Star Trek episodes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, that was a great episode. (And memorable for the first appearance of Ashley Judd in Star Trek as Robin Lefler - a few episodes later she kissed Wesley Crusher.)

    I do love the notion of the 'Darmok' mode of communication, and Dathon's courage in putting himself into a dangerous situation with a bizarre alien, and risking war with a very powerful interstellar Federation, just because he knew that their peoples had to figure out some way to communicate, to understand each other. That's a theme I've used in my own writing at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saying hello from the blogfest! I too love dark chocolate, and the notion of positive communication and empathy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The great Paul Winfield! A memorable episode (and alien) indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paul Winfield was excellent in his return to Star Trek - a marvelous episode of an excellent series - well done, and thanks for bringing back fond memories! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful choice for your favorite martian, and your reason for choosing him. He was truly a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the themes you discuss in your post--it sounds like Dathon is a very thoughtful otherworldly character, and I'd really like to catch this episode. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lot of people have mentioned Star Trek, which I'm mostly unfamiliar with. I'm such a bad sci-fi fan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your MFM post, but now all I can think of is holy crap, 11 siblings. 0_0

    Congrats on your blog award. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great choice. I'd almost forgotten about that episode. 11 sibs?! Wow, and I thought I had a lot with 4. :) Like you, I am the oldest.

    ReplyDelete