Monday, July 30, 2012

Dragons and Fantasy

So I'm starting a new project. It's going to be high fantasy. I have an idea where I want to go with it, of course, but it's far from all mapped out. Right now I'm doing world building and starting to get some character sketches, though I don't have much of a plot, yet.

I know my fantasy world will have dragons. In fact, I started thinking about this story based on two things: 1) my love for the Game of Thrones story, 2) a short story I wrote for a contest. I wrote the story about a little boy and a dragon. I did it to challenge myself because I'm actually HORRIBLE at writing short stories. (Entirely too long-winded). The League of Utah Writers was having their annual contest and I decided to challenge myself to write a short story for the contest.

Of course I love fantasy and I've been wanting to explore dragons for some time. So, I put the three together and wrote a short story about a boy and a dragon. I entered it into the contest, but I won't know how it did until mid-September. (I'll let you know! :D)

Anyway, I gave it to my writing group and they really liked it. They said it was interesting and asked if I was planning on turning it into a full novel. I won't lie and say it hadn't crossed my mind, but their encouragement helped me build excitement and I've been planning scenes ever since then.

Anyway, I think I'm still weeks, if not months away from beginning the writing, but I thought I'd get some input. I won't tell you all the awesome secrets of my world-building, but here's a few:

1) (As previously stated) There are dragons. I haven't worked out all the details yet, or how exactly the dragon magic will work, but I know they have a very loyal, symbiotic relationship with the humans. Only certain humans are born with the magic to become dragon riders, etc.

2) There will be other creatures, such as unicorns. (Eyebrows up and down in rapid succession).

3) There are no mountain ranges in this world. I have a specific reason for this--a plot device I'll work in--but it comes from the fact that I live quite high in the Rockies. To live in a world without mountains would be all KINDS of bizarre to me. Hence...

4) There will be all kinds of lore, lost legends coming back to life, kings, queens, knights, adventure, and romance. (Of course! It's high fantasy!)

Although I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, I can't wait to get started!

So...what are the coolest world-building details YOU'VE ever come across? :D

8 comments :

  1. Oh man, that is totally the kind of thing I aspire to write (but probably never will) and would love to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you aspire to write it, you should! Only you can write what you love! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :D

      Delete
  2. Um wow, I am liking the sound of this already. I can't think of any cool world-building details, but I love yours with the no mountain ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so exciting to witness the birth of a novel! I don't have any more magic to offer you, just encouragement. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on it. Thanks Gwynneth! For stopping by and for the encouragement! :D

      Delete
  4. Who cares about plot when there are dragons afoot? A big wild "yes!" on your high fantasy endeavor!! My dragons want to know if your dragons can come over and play, maybe even have a sleepover. I'll provide the dwarfbits if you can bring the frozen goblinpops.

    You'd better keep us posted on your progress. Inquiring dragon-lover minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks for the enthusiasm Jeff! I really appreciate it! We really need to define dwarfbits and goblinpops, get together and come up with some recipes, you know? Maybe I'll make some for Halloween! Anyway, I'll definitely keep you post! :D

      Delete