Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Vampires and Vampires and Vampires, Oh My!

So we all know the market is completely saturated with vampire literature right now. Most people are  sick of it, but many vampire series are still selling well, so obviously not everyone is.

My publisher, Jolly Fish Press (yea!) picked up a vampire book. I haven't read it so I couldn't tell you whether it's good or not, but if it got picked up by a traditional publisher, it must be, right? The CEO of JFP (everyone keeping up with the acronyms here?) said he didn't want vampire stuff, but when he read this, he couldn't help but sign it. It was just that good!

How do you prefer your vamps?
I recently met the author and asked her what kind of vampires were in her book. She said they weren't Twilight-ish. They were more monster-ish, but they had some humanity because they're the ones with the major conflicts.

It made me think of a conversation I had with my sister a couple of years ago. When I became serious about writing (or rather, when my family started to take me seriously as a writer--yes there's a HUGE difference in the time frames) my sister asked me about writing vampires. She's a major Twi-hard and suggested that I write something about vampires. I immediately (but with perfect tact, of course) shot down the idea. I explained that the market was saturated and that most publishers even had disclaimers on their websites saying, DO NOT SEND US VAMPIRE STUFF! I also told her that I would only write something about vampires if I felt like I had something to add that hadn't been done before. At the time, I didn't. She seemed a bit chagrined but didn't press the issue.

Dreamy or Demon?
(Since then I've actually come up with something I think could work, though it's only a wisp of an idea, not a full plot line or character sketch, and I'm not currently pursuing it.)

Anyway, all this talk has made me curious: how do you prefer your vampires?

Most of my followers fall into one of two categories: writers who are putting the literature out there or book bloggers who are directly, aggressively reading the literature and reviewing it. So, do you like dreamy, sparkly vampires (circa Twilight, 2005), full-on monsters (in the vein of one of my personal faves, 30 Days of Night) or somewhere in between? If you could read or write your perfect vamp, what would they be like?

Like I said: just curious. :D

Kisses!

13 comments :

  1. I want the mean vampires, like the ones in the Blade series. Or Underworld.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meet too! I love Underworld. I wasn't too impressed with the second one, but the prequel and the most recent installment were great! :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Frankly, I've reached vampire-overload, but if I have to read or watch something with vampires, I'm with Alex -- absolutely no sparkly, shiny, dreamy, dewy-eyed, James-Dean-with-fangs, vampire-lite, bad-boys-who-just-need-love, please!

    They're supposed to be freakin' undead horrors; gruesome demons of the dark who prey on the lifeblood of the living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Thanks for stopping by! I think lots of people agree with us now-a-days! :D

      Delete
  3. TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWILIGHT TWILIGHT! ALL.THE.WAY. Aside from the fact that they are beautifully written books, with fabby story lines and amazing love stories, robert pattinson and the rest of the vamps are haawwwttt! ;D xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the first person I've ever come across that thinks they're well-written, and I don't disagree with you. I haven't read the books in years, now, but I kind of want to go back and read them again. Not because I'm such a Twi-hard but because so many of my fellow writers claim they were terribly written, and I just don't remember that being the case. Thanks for stopping by, Leah. I appreciate the input! :D

      Delete
  4. I'm not one of those readers who LOVE vampires, but it's not like I hate them. If they are well written and the synopsis of the book catches my eye, then yeah, I'd go for it.

    I haven't read the Twilight books so I can't really comment in that respect but I definitely liked Julie Kagawa's take on vampires! I just loved The Immortal Rules! So, overall, I don't really have a vampire type...

    Great post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate the input! :D

      Delete
  5. Personally, I like all kinds of vampires. Sometimes I feel like reading about scary vamps and sometimes I want them to sparkle (OMG, did I just say that?) I like reading author's different takes on vamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great answer! It's good to be open-minded! Happy Friday! :D

      Delete
  6. I saw this topic and just had to comment after all I love vampires all kinds. It depends on the book actually for me if its well written then I could take about any kind of vamp.

    I don't think Twilight is badly written, though the fourth book isn't my fave its still good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on both counts. Though I prefer scary, I can deal with other types if the story is well-written. The fourth book of Twilight wasn't my fave either. In fact I was so disappointed by the ending that I think it soured me on the rest of the series a bit, but I really enjoyed them while I was reading them. Anyway, thanks for stopping by! I really appreciate your comments! :D

      Delete
  7. I love that there are so many versions of stories with vampires. I had fun reading Twilight, I really enjoy reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, I have The Immortal Rules in my to be read pile right now so I'm not too sure what kind of vampires are in that.

    So I could be leaning towards the vampires that could be love interests. I've never read a book where vampires are the scary monsters we see in movies made in the eighties and nineties though. So my opinion is kind of one sided haha.

    ReplyDelete