Monday, April 7, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Unique Reads

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Most Unique Books I've Read (All book covers courtesy of Goodreads.com unless otherwise linked.)


10. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak  -- Narrated by death. 'Nuff said.

9. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden -- Just different than anything else I've ever read. In a good way.

8. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson -- This is a high fantasy...with crustacean monsters! I'd never seen that before in a medieval-type fantasy. So cool!

7. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad -- It actually is very unique, which is why I think so many people have trouble with it. The kind of thing that would never be published today; a story within a story within a story.
6. Anything by Cormac McCarthy. I always say he's a writer's writer, and you have to get used to how he writes. It's definitely not an easy, casual reading experience. My personal faves (so far) are The Road and No Country for Old Men.

5. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende -- I wouldn't necessarily recommend it because it's a translated book, and I haven't found an English version that isn't totally clunky and in passive voice. But the story is a totally unique, allegorical fairy tale. Love it!

4. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor -- Definitely one of the more unique stories I've read. Yeah, can't stop reading it. 

3. Soul Screamers by Rachel Vincent -- Reading this series right now. It's a contemporary fantasy about Banshees. Who thinks to write about that? Rachel Vincent, that's who! And she's a total rock star!
2. A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin -- Most people think it's unique because it's edgy, but really it's because the characters are so unique and relatable. Beware, Martin is notorious for killing off characters you love. He once said he wanted to write a series that made his readers afraid to turn the page. Check that off your bucket list, Mr. Martin. You nailed it.

1. One Boy No Water by Lehua Parker -- Written partly in the native pidgin of Hawaii, but very inventive and lots of fun to read. I'm really not big on MG, but I love this series! 


What are the top 10 most unique books you've read?

13 comments :

  1. The Book Thief and GoT both made my list as well this week (as well as Brandon Sanderson, but for another book ;)). Great list! Joseph Conrad is on my to-read list...at some point xD

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you get to Conrad soon. :D

      Delete
  2. Nice! Soul Screamers was just awesome!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of the Game of Throne books, but the series is unique because of those characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, definitely. I also notice it's darker than most authors (who don't write horror) care to be, and that makes it unique as well. Thanks Alex! :D

      Delete
  4. Dunno if I can come up with 10... let's see:

    1. The Icarus Hunt by Timothy Zahn
    2. Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (of course, there's Ender's Game as well, but I liked Shadow better)
    3. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    4. Gray Dawn by Albert Payson Terhune (all of his collie books are fairly unique to his own style/narrative/story/characters)
    5. Lord of Snow and Shadows by Sarah Ash (find this to be an extremely unique take on fantasy/kingdoms)
    6. Have to say that I find "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman to be pretty unique.
    7. The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner
    8. Shadow Hand by Anne Elizabeth Stengl (very unique take on a redemption story including time-travel mixed with fairy-tales)
    9. The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell
    10. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (not many princesses run away and ask a dragon to kidnap them... after all) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job! I loved Ender's Game, so I'll have to check out Ender's Shadow. I thought about A Wrinkle in Time, but ultimately didn't include it. Princess Bride is definitely unique, but I haven't actually read the book. I'll totally have to check out Dealing with Dragons. Thanks Jenelle! :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, if you love the movie, you definitely have to read Princess Bride. It's fantastic! Ender's Shadow (and the ensuing "Shadow" series) is excellent. I thought Ender became a little too depressing after a while, but I just love Bean to pieces. :)

      Dealing with Dragons is up there in my all-time favorites. I can read it over and over again. It's short, middle-grade fantasy, and stands alone well, though the rest of the series (4 or 5 books, I believe) are all very good as well. :)

      Delete
  5. Memoirs of a Geisha is SO GOOD. One of my favourite ever books. I don't think I ahve a copy on my shelves, I'm going to try and change that.

    Gunmen, Raptors and Love Letters - Under The Mountain's TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I should read it again. It's been years. But I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. You should check out Big in Japan. That's another great one! :D

      Delete
  6. Absolutely agree about The Book Thief, Memoirs of a Geisha, and A Game of Thrones -- all marvelous. I do need to read Brandon Sanderson. Crustacean monsters? Count me in! Oh, and yes to The Road! I'm just in awe of the writing. Great list -- I'll need to check out the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are very unique. Of all of them I'd read Neverending Story to see much translated Liesel.

    ReplyDelete