Monday, April 28, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: The Walking Dead

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Books if you like...The Walking Dead(All covers courtesy of goodreads.com unless otherwise linked.)

So, after season 4, I'm totally obsessing about The Walking Dead. If you're into it, there are lots of things you might like. I'm a huge fan of zombies, ensemble casts (see my published works), dark fantasy, character-driven stories, and intense drama. If you like all these aspects of The Walking Dead, you might want to check out these books.



10. World War Z by Max Brooks -- Okay, I really wasn't a fan of this one (my review HERE) but if you're looking for all things zombie, you might enjoy it. Just be warned that it reads like a string of unrelated prime time news stories with no common characters or events (other than zombies) running through them. It was just hard for me to stick with it without any compelling characters to root for.





9. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion -- Confession: I haven't actually read this one, but I saw the film and it was charming. A great zombie tale that's big on the question of humanity. And humor. If you want a somewhat lighter take on the subject matter, this is the book for you!




8. Taking on the Dead by Annie Walls -- Another one I haven't read, but I understand it's very dark and rather gory. In other words, it's high on my list of zombie reads. :D



7. Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor -- This one I've definitely read and I LOVE this series. It doesn't deal with zombies, but with other, traditionally hellish creatures and the drama that surrounds them. The characters and plot are downright addicting! Can't wait for book 3 to come out!


6. The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind -- Very dark fantasy with a fantastic magic system and very compelling characters. I loved this series, even if it did stall a bit near the end. It has the same kind of addictive drama that The Walking Dead sports.



5. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan -- As I said, I'm big on large, ensemble casts of characters and epic, sprawling stories. Those are things that The Wheel of Time and The Walking Dead definitely have in common. 



4. The Stand by Stephen King -- Again, a very dark story, dealing with a pandemic, which is what causes zombie-ism in The Walking Dead. It deals with dark forces and what human beings might do to one another when all law and order disappears.

3. A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin -- Another dark fantasy, ensemble cast, ridiculously compelling characters, and all around amazing story. (If you've only seen the HBO series, let me promise you the books are darker, grittier, and more compelling.) Every bit as addicting as The Walking Dead. May not have zombies, but White Walkers are pretty dang close. (In the Walking Dead, they even refer to zombies as Walkers! Dun, dun, dun!)


2. The Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin -- While reading this, I totally thought it was a zombie book because the red disease makes people look, if not exactly act, like zombies. I got through the entire book and it's sequel before realizing that zombie-ism really wasn't a prevalent theme. But, loved it anyway. Great story I couldn't put down and it definitely has a zombie feel to it. 




What book recommendations can you make based on your favorite entertainment?

13 comments :

  1. Great list! I don't watch The Walking Dead but many of these titles definitely would appear to fans of the show (and lol, agreed re: the White Walkers and how they're described pretty much as zombies xD)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched The Walking Dead, but I can totally see how they would be enjoyed by those who liked the show. I really want to read Warm Bodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Chrissi! :D Happy Tuesday. :D

      Delete
  3. Walking Dead is soooo good. Any books that are similar to it I need to read!!! Like right now!

    Angie
    Top Ten Tuesday- Clue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! After this last season, totally obsessing about that show. :D Thanks Angela! :D

      Delete
  4. Nice! Just saw another blogger who chose this show! Loved Warm Bodies!

    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list. Those are all fitting choices.
    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice list! I love that you recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire series to fans of Walking Dead. I mean White Walkers are basically zombies!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't watch The Walking Dead (not that I have anything against zombies...) -- but I do see books hear that I love (ASoIaF, The Stand) as well as a few I just HAVE to read (especially The Sword of Truth and World War Z, finally). Great list!

    Lisa @ Bookshelf Fantasies

    ReplyDelete