Wednesday, April 9, 2014
Words of Radiance Read-Along, Week 2
1. We learn a little more about Syl and her connection to Kaladin. There are more spren out there, "trying...to reclaim what was lost". Yet Syl was forbidden to come and chose to do it anyway. What do you make of this new information?
This is seriously cool! I love that Syl is a bit of a rebel. She probably knew that she'd lose her memory (kind of) and that things would be different and hard, but she came anyway. She had the faith that she'd find Kaladin and bond with him, and she did. These two are going to be besties or soul mates for life. The more I learn about Syl, the more I love her.
I also love that she's trying to figure out jokes, and that she torments Rock. Such a cool chick! :D
2. Chapter 10 is brief, yet intriguing - and kind of creepy! It looks like Shallan was responsible for her mother's death, among others, when she was young. What are your thoughts on this scene?
Yeah, definitely creepy. Despite what we know of Shallan's family and their predicament, we don't actually know that much about her past. I'm really hoping we get into this more, as I'm extremely curious! Obviously she's not as innocent as she seems, though I hate to think of her as sinister in any way. I also wonder if her past might have played a role in why her family sent her to Jasnah--to send her away, as much because of whatever happened as to deal with the broken fabrial situation.
3. Highlord Amaram is back, and still has Kaladin's Shardblade. He also seems to be close friends with Dalinar. Do you think Kaladin will tell Dalinar what happened between them? If so, what do you think might happen?
Oh the tension! Oh the angst! I think it'll take some time before Kaladin tells Dalinar the truth. Until then, he'll have to walk around showing Amaram respect. I do hope eventually Kaladin gets justice for what Amaram did to him and his men before. And now that Dalinar is supporting Shardplate duels... I mean come on! Amaram seriously pissed off...a Radiant. This dude is toast!
4. We get an Interlude with one of the Parshendi - the Shardbearer who fought Dalinar, a woman called Eshonai. We finally get a real look at the Parshendi and learn more about what they're doing on the Shattered Plains. What are your thoughts on this? We also learn that Eshonai wants to speak with Dalinar and sue for peace. Do you think that's likely to happen?
Peace, of course, will never be an easy thing. We know that Dalinar would be open to it, but how they would ever meet, communicate, and make it happen, I don't know. I thought this section was terribly interesting and ought to be re-read. It turns out I was wrong. I felt like admitting to the assassination was a way to throw off what had really happened. Well, I was sort of wrong. They really were responsible, but obviously something more was going on. They killed Gavilar because they seemed to think if he went through with his plans, the old gods would come back and destroy them.
The question is, what was he planning? And will it really bring back what they fear? I so want answers to these questions!
5. Adolins's first duel doesn't exactly go as anyone expected... What did you make of how it was won? Do you think it will force people to take Adolin, and by extension Dalinar, more seriously?
I gotta say, by themselves, I think Dalinar and Andolin would make a blunder of this. Can Andolin duel? Obviously. But thank goodness he has Navani there to scheme and figure out how best to use his results.
After getting a chapter from Andolin's POV, I kinda like him more. I think it's sweet that some part of him wants his betrothal to Shallan to work out. I think he wants to be respected in the best sort of way. I don't think him and Shallan are right for one another, but Andolin is endearing and I hope there are good things in his future. (I hope he gets to kick some High-Prince-Sadeas butt sometime soon.)
The fact that Pattern can repeat an overheard conversation word for word is like the best thing EVER! Loved that.
Totally loved the moving, living, rolling-around-in-the-ocean islands Resyn has some serious guts. Really liking her.
Did anyone else think that the "bandits" Tvlakv's men spied and ran away from might have been Kaladin's men? I'm not sure how close Shallan's group is to the Shattered Plains, but it seems to me it might be feasible. Can't wait for our two main characters to meet!
What other bloggers thought:
How did everyone else like this section?