Sunday, April 20, 2014

Winter's Heart Read-Along, Week 3



***Again, so sorry everyone for being so late with the questions this week. I just moved into a new place--been doing that all week--and I didn't get my internet up until 9 pm last night. And I've been so crazy busy that it slipped my mind that it was my week for questions. So sorry about that. I hope everyone did okay with what I sent!***

Welcome to week 3 of our Winter's Heart read-along. This week we read chapters 8-11. Remember that everything in this section as well as everything that came before is fair game for spoilers so read at your own risk!

Source
1. The Aes Sedai with Elayne and Nynaeve are trying to convince the Seanchan sul'dam that they can channel themselves and then send them back to Seanchan. Do you think this tactic will work to help bring down the Seanchan empire?

I actually think this is a really smart plan. It's the kind of thing that might take years to come to fruition, and I doubt they have that kind of time until Tarmon Gai'don, but so far trying to defeat the Seanchan through force of arms hasn't worked. This is the kind of thing that will shake the foundations of their belief system. It might be the the one thing that will work in the long run.

2. It seems the Borderlanders are on the borders of Andor. We last saw the leaders making a pact in the Borderlands. What do you think they're up to and what does it have to do with Andor?
I can't remember the details of their plan for certain, but I think it's obvious that they're looking for Rand. They've left the Borderlands and are sudden found in places where Rand has been recently. I'm just surprised they got so far without being noticed yet. Now Elayne will have to figure out how to deal.

Source
3. Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne meet in the World of Dreams and there are several people spying on them. Who do you think the multiple eavesdroppers are and what are their plans. Did they hear anything that might be damning to our girls?

We find out a partial answer to this in a part of the chapter from the POV of the black ajah Aes Sedai, but they weren't the only ones listening. The man who let them see him and looked like Rand? Pretty sure I remember who that was, but I won't say, and I'm not totally certain. For the other unknowns, I think there's a good chance it could be one of the Forsaken. Our supergirls need to bemore careful in the future.

4. Newly captained Mellor is Daved Hanlon! Ahhh! What does this mean? What are he and "Lady" Shiane up to?

Be afraid, Elayne! Be very afraid! Whatever they're planning can't be good. And now he's very close to Elayne. Not that she's totally vulnerable. She has Brigitte and Aviendha to guard her back, but it's still disturbing, especially considering how twisted we know he is. Obviously whatever they're planning has to do with Elayne and Andor. My guess would be that they'll try to get to Rand through her in some way.

5. At the end of chapter 11, Nynaeve has a "plan" that neither Rand or Lan are too fond of. What do you think it is? Predictions?

Yeah, I know what it is. This is a thread I remember pretty well. I won't say much, except that I like it. It's an interesting story line.

Source
6. We might finally get Rand, Elayne, Aviendha, and Elayne in the same room together. Predictions?

Again, I know what will happen. I doesn't disappoint. :D

Extras:

I don't have much more to say this week. This section felt very much like a setup for the rest of the book, but it was great for all that. I'm glad that some of our main characters have reunited after so long. Now it's time for the good stuff!

*rubs hands together*

What other bloggers thought: Dab of Darkness     Coffee, Cookies, and Chili Peppers

What did everyone else think of this section?

4 comments :

  1. I wonder if Elayne will choose to speak with the Borderlanders on behalf of Rand? He has, in some ways while keeping her seat warm, spoken for her on occasion. So this turn around might be quite interesting.

    That's an interesting picture of Rand and his harem. I always thought Elayne had the most cleavage and that Aviendha was very athletic since she was a Maiden of the Spear for so many years.

    Great to hear you are all moved in and that the internet is working. No problems about getting the questions out a little late. Life happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the Borderlander situation works out. I always find these kind of pictures interesting. Different people's interpretations always kind of make me smile. Thanks!.

      Delete
  2. Hi Liesel! Terribly sorry I'm so late this week. As it happens, I'm also moving. :)

    1. Yes, I believe it will help. People are generally not stupid, and I suppose they will realize what it means when an a'dam can hold a sul'dam… speaking of which, how did nobody ever try this before?

    If it wasn't clear, damane are those who are born with the spark (who will channel at one point regardless), and sul'dam are those who can learn to channel. This is also why there are so many more sul'dam than damane.

    2. They're presumably after Rand, and this doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with Andor. I guess it's just hard to go from north to south nowadays without either going through Andor or Seanchan-controlled lands. Though. They could have tried Cairhien I suppose, but the land between Andor and the borderlands is very depopulated, so I guess they thought they could sneak through there more easily.

    3. So, there was one Black Ajah member at least. From her we know there are two others. One was described by Elayne as looking as if he could be Rand's uncle. She has no idea how right she is, because that's precisely who he is of course. It's Slayer, in his Luc form. I don't know who the third could be.

    4. They're obviously not ready to just kill Elayne, beacause then they're going about it in a needlessly complicated fashion—she was as good as dead before. So they must be under orders to gather intelligence or sow chaos or something along those lines. I suspect we will find out?

    5. If Rand and Lan don't like it, I assume it involves something outrageously dangerous, such as Nynaeve (gasp) stepping outside! Haha…

    6. Dum-dee doo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Gotta love the way moving interrupts the blogging schedule, right? Yeah, I picked up on the Luc thing too. It's fun to go back and read how many references there are to that throughout. Once again, I wish all the characters would get together and tell their stories so they would have a better idea of what they're dealing with. But, you know.... :D

      Delete