Monday, April 21, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Bumbling Characters

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top 10 Characters I Love that are Bumbling.


While we generally don't want our main heroes to be bumbling, there's something to be said for lovable characters that aren't totally suave. 

10. Rock -- I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance and loving it. I love Rock. He's got his own unique language, code, and personality. Gotta love him! :D

Falstaff (Source)
9. Falstaff -- Anyone who's read Shakespeare's histories knows who Falstaff is. If you don't, well, he's pretty hard to explain. One of a kind. You should totally read about him!

8. Sydney Carton -- one of the more tragic bumbling characters, he pretty much made the story in A Tale of Two Cities. Without him, there wouldn't have been a plot!

7. Emma from Soul Screamers -- she's actually a popular high school girl, but she's so oblivious to everything most of the time, that I think she counts as bumbling. And I love her. She's funny and loyal and I always love to read about her.

Edmund Pevensie (Source)
6. Edmund Pevensie -- In The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, he bumbles around a lot and gets duped by the White Witch. He's one of my favorite characters, though, despite how unlikable he is, because if you read all the Chronicles, he becomes very strong after book 2. He's never duped by the queen or that kind of evil again.

5. Herid Fel -- Another bumbling, bookish scholar who had a crush on Min (Wheel of Time) and was killed because he knew too much.

4. Charlie Swan -- No matter what you thought of Twilight, how could you not love Charlie? I always thought he was such a great, well-grounded character.

Samwell Tarly (Source)
3. Samwell Tarly -- Jon Snow's loyal friend in A Song of Fire and Ice. He tries so hard and you just can't help but love him for it.

2. Loial -- one of my favorite Wheel of Time characters, not least because he happens to be bookish. I don't know that he's necessarily bumbling, but he sort of comes off that way. It's so stinkin' endearing.

1. Samwise Gamgee -- Tolkien actually considered Sam, not Frodo, to be the hero of LOTR.

What kind of top ten characters did you geek out about today?

17 comments :

  1. I love your take on the topic this week! Bumbling characters are great! I always forget about Charlie Swan, but he is a fantastic choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list! I love your topic this week and Samwise and Edmund! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh nice topic choice! Gotta admit I only know Emma from Soul Screamers here!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a great one! One of my favorite best-friend characters ever! Thanks Jessica! :D

      Delete
  4. Great list. I too had a soft spot for Herid Fel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Loved him! I didn't think Jordan kept him around for nearly long enough! :D

      Delete
  5. Bumbling characters... nice topic! I think most of them would make excellent friends, especially Edmund and the Sams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! You just couldn't help but love them, could you. :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Eustace is another great bumbler from Narnia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about Eustace, but you're totally right. :D Thanks Alex!

      Delete
  7. This is a very cute topic. I love it! :) I also loved Charlie Swan from Twilight. I hated what Bella said to him in the first book/movie it made me hate her a little.

    Have a good week.


    My Top Ten Tuesday

    Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I hated that whole part. It was just so yucky and harsh. Really wanted to give him a hug afterward. :D Thanks Whitney!

      Delete
  8. This is an awesome and creative list! I love Samwell!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Thanks for stopping by, Missie! :D

      Delete
  9. Great topic! I always equate Samwise Gamgee and Samwell Tarly in my mind -- two awesome friends, but yes, kind of bumbling. :) I've always adored Sydney Carton too. And Edmund Pevensie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, love them all. They make for such great, memorable characters. Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete