Monday, July 8, 2013

Why Dystopians Make Real Life Seem Boring

Source
So book 2 of Interchron, Entitled Quantum Entanglement is written and has been for several weeks. Now I'm working on editing and cover design, but I hope to have it out in the next month or two.

Meanwhile, I've given the manuscript to several beta readers, many of whom are family members. (My true beta readers are my critique group but I give it to the fam to make them feel important. :D)

My younger sister works in a doctor's office in the evenings and can't usually read at work. Whenever supervisors are there, they aren't allowed to get on their computers, but every once in a while she can. She asked me to send her a PDF of book 2 so she could read in her spare time. She read a few chapters, and then promptly forgot about it for several weeks. When she remembered, she started again and read it more quickly.

Pretty soon she was asking me if I had a print copy so she could read it at home, too--she didn't want to wait until the next night at work. Finally, after she finished, she asked me when book 3 would be written.

Yea!

Source
We talked about it a little bit but it definitely had an impression on her. The really funny thing was a few days later. We were driving in her truck and she made a random comment about how she must just get too into books and movies and things.

I laughed and asked her what she meant. She said that ever since reading Quantum Entanglement, she felt like her life wasn't very important. "I go to work, go home, and sleep. My life is totally meaningless! Well, you know except for Cheveya." (That's her daughter.) 

By then, I was laughing hysterical. I explained that that was a nerd/fan girl problem and quite common among bookish people. I explained it could happen with movies and tv shows as well. (Back when 24 was still on, a majority of its fans reported feeling like their lives were uber-boring after watching the show. Of course they did! It's a high-paced, real time action thriller about racing against the clock to take down terrorists. Desk jobs just can't compare to that!)

Anyway, I was thrilled because she had obviously connected with my stories and my characters and had an emotional reaction to it, so much so that she was still thinking about it days later.

Again, YEA!

If that doesn't say that I'm on the right track with book 2, nothing will.

As I said, I plan to have Quantum Entanglement, Book 2 of Interchron out in the next 30-60 days, and I'm self-publishing so I'll be able to keep the price low. I'll give you more updates as they come.

In the mean time, if you want to catch up by reading book 1, Persistence of Vision, it's available on Amazon. Make sure and get caught up before all the book 2 promos start!





In a world where collective hives are enslaving the population and individuals have been hunted to the verge of extinction, Maggie Harper, and independent 21st Century woman, must find the strength to preserve the freedom of the future, but without the aid of her memories.

After experiencing a traumatic time loss, Maggie is plagued by a barrage of images she can't explain. When she's attacked by a creep with a spider's web tattoo, she is saved by Marcus, a man she's never met, but somehow remembers. He tells her that both he and her creepy attacker are from a future in which individuals are being murdered by collectives, and Marcus is part of the rebellion. The collectives have acquired time travel and they plan to enslave the human race throughout all of history. The flashes Maggie has been seeing are echoes of lost memories, and the information buried deep within them is instrumental in defeating the collective hives.

In order to preserve the individuality of mankind, Maggie must try to re-discover stolen memories, re-kindle friendships she has no recollection of, and wade through her feelings for the mysterious Marcus, all while dodging the tattooed assassins the collectives keep sending her way.

If Maggie can't fill the holes in her memory and find the answers to stop the collectives, the world both in her time and in all ages past and future will be doomed to enslavement in the grey, mediocre collectives. As the danger swirls around her and the collectives close in, Maggie realizes she must make a choice: stand out or fade away...

What was the last novel you had a major emotional reaction to? 

4 comments :

  1. FEED and Deadline by Mira Grant KILLED ME. I flet like the characters were my friends, and I've always been waiting for the zombie apocalypse. Killing zombies is so much cooler than my day job ;) great post. Your series sounds very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's quite an impact! Always nice to know our books move others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually with great books I wish that I could be in that world and/or interacting with the characters (e.g. Harry Potter, Skulduggery Pleasant) but it's the opposite with dysptoians and post-apocalyptic books. The worlds are supposed to be horrifying (at least usually) so if you make me not want to be apart of the world/story and are actually having me appreciate my little humdrum life I think you are doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read Written in Red by Anne Bishop, and before that, it was Allison Hewitt is Trapped :)
    Mei @ Diary of a Fair Weather Diver
    Today's post: Maki's trick backfired and a pool of acid!

    ReplyDelete