Monday, July 8, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday--Movie Adaptations

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

Top Ten Best/Worst Movie Adaptations

Worst Adaptions:

10. Beautiful Creatures--An okay movie on it's own, but if you've read the books, they changed so much that the adaptation just wasn't very true to the story. I loved the book so much that I just couldn't love the film.


Source
9. Eragon--Loved the book but not impressed with the film. They took too many things out of the first movie that would have been important to the second movie, and overall it was just sort of blah. There's a reason they haven't made any more.


Source
8. Great Expectations--They modernized it, which can be good when done correctly, but this was iffy. They also completely reinterpreted the character of Mrs. Havisham, which changed the entire story. Hated it! I know there's an English version with Ralph Fiennes that came out last year, but I haven't seen it. (As much as I would like to see great, new versions of my favorite classics, I'm always afraid Hollywood will slaughter them just like this one.)


Source
7. O.--This is supposed to be a high school version of Shakepeare's Othello. I tried to figure out where it had gone so wrong, and I think it's the fact that they fused several characters together into one, which muddies all the motivations and changes the beats of the story. Plus, they played up the race aspect, which was present in the play but really wasn't Shakespeare's point. Furthermore, Othello is a very adult play. It just doesn't makes sense to make the characters adolescent. Their motivations would be completely different than what Shakespeare's characters were and just made each decision seem shallow. Please don't judge the play by this film!


Source
Best Adaptations:

6. Tuck Everlasting--I loved this book as a kid and when I saw this movie, I was afraid they might Hollywood-ize the ending. But, they didn't, and I thought they captured the mood and tone of the book perfectly. So beautiful! Loved it!


Source
5. Harry Potter series--need I say more? I think not.


Source
4. The Hunger Games--so far they're doing a great job. I can't wait for Catching Fire this November, as that was my person favorite of the trilogy.


Source
3. The Great Gatsby--this latest Dicaprio version was perfect! Loved it!


Source
2. The Hobbit--granted only one of the trilogy is out, but I read the book just before going to see it and thought it was spectacular!


Source
1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy--while lots of details did get cut, I think Peter Jackson did an excellent job all things considered.


Source
How about you? What are your favorite/least favorite film adaptions?

12 comments :

  1. I didn't even know Eragon was a movie. I still have to read the book!
    My TTT- http://angelica-2009.blogspot.com/2013/07/top-ten-tuesday-12.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book's definitely much better than the film! :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That version of Great Expectations looks terrible! Is that sexu blonde supposed to be Mrs. Havisham??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwyneth Paltrow played Estelle. Actually, the woman who plays Mrs. Havisham is portrayed as somewhat blond on the cover (near the bottom) but I don't think she was actually blond in the movie--a red head, if I remember right. It was more that she was this really loud, eccentric, Mary-Tyler Moore type, which was the complete opposite of what she was in the book. I was bugged. Anyway, thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  3. I forgot about Tuck Everlasting! I loved that, book and movie. And YES to Great Expectations. Ball of turrible, right there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have quite a few in common there! The Great Gatsby was awesome! Great list!

    My TTT

    Ally @ Book Fixation New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree more on the best two.
    For worst I'd go with The Relic. It was an all right monster movie, but if you'd read the Preston and Child book (part of the Agent Pendergast series) you'd realize they left out Agent Pendergast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Hunger Games was a great translation since it referred to things that didn't make it into the movie. It works on two levels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tuck Everlasting and The Hunger Games were both adapted wonderfully on the big screen. Great picks!

    my TTT: http://www.bookythoughtsandme.com/top-ten-best-and-worst-book-to-movie-adaptation-experiences/

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOh nice ones! Never read Tuck Everlasting but I did enjoy the movie! Seeing a lot of Hunger Games too!

    Thanks for visiting my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really liked Tuck Everlasting, too. It was sweet and romantic. And obviously Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cant believe you didn't like BC! I loved it but it really didn't follow the book as much so I see where your coming from.

    Great picks this week and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete