Thursday, July 4, 2013

Mermaid Challenge Reviews, Week 8 + Follow Friday

I hope everyone had a great Independence Day! To view Patriotic stories I've been posting all week, view earlier posts on both my blogs!

Welcome to Week 8 of the Mermaid Lit Summer Reading Challenge! Below is my review for this week. If you have one of your own, feel free to link up with us and be sure to visit the others to see what they thought of their reads for this week! You may join the challenge anytime you like. See rules HERE. (Follow Friday below!)


This week, I read Mirage by Jenn Reese. I read Above World a few weeks ago and so when I saw that my library had the sequel, I jumped at the chance to read it. :D

First of all, I should note that this really isn't much of a mermaid book. The kids in it are merekids, but in book 1 they got the chance to come Above World (get it?) and have an adventure on land. Mirage continues that adventure, but there's really no part of it that takes place under the ocean.

The only real mermaid element we deal with is the fact that Aluna *mild spoilers from book 1* swallowed a seed that perpetuates the growing of her mermaid tail fin and is trying to keep it from slowing her down the entire novel. *end of spoilers*

That said, it's still a great read! It continues the adventures of Hoki and Aluna, but we get to see a lot of Dash's homeland while the kids try to get their three peoples (Merepeople, Fliers, and Equians) to forge an alliance.

This is a quick, fun, flowing read that I couldn't put down. Just as in book 1, I found the world-building to be delightful and smiled often. Hoki is totally adorble! Reese manages to put some very adult-feeling romance into the novel, but the kids are just young enough to be embarrassed about their feelings in a way that just makes your heart melt.

The adventure is there, too. Lots of action and page-turning fun. If you liked book 1, you'll love book 2. I certainly did, and will be on the watch for more by this author. :D

Has anyone else read Jenn Reese? How did you like her writing?


Follow Friday

Gain new followers and make new friends with the Book Blogger Feature & Follow! If this is your first time here, welcome! You are about to make some new friends and gain new followers -- but you have to know -- the point of this hop is to follow other bloggers also. I follow you, you follow me.

The Feature & Follow is hosted by TWO hosts, Parajunkee of Parajunkee's View and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!

How does this work? First you leave your name here on this post, (using the linky tools -- keep scrolling!) then you create a post on your own blog that links back to this post (easiest way is to just grab the code under the #FF picture and put it in your post) and then you visit as many blogs as you can and tell them "hi" in their comments (on the post that has the #FF image). You follow them, they follow you. Win. Win. Just make sure to follow back if someone follows you!


Today is the U.S.'s Independence Day. Share your favorite book with war in it, or an overthrow of the government.
Source

For this blog, I think I'm gonna have to go with the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I wasn't expecting it to be so revolution-minded when I read it. I really liked book 1, but book 2 totally blew me away. Can't wait for the film version this November. :D

Of course, there are all kinds of dystopians that deal with over-throwing government that I love. My next favorite is probably the Partial Sequence series by Dan Wells. It's fabulous!


Source













Networked Blogs and Linky are also welcome. Remember, if you follow via email, you get a free short story!

21 comments :

  1. Oh yea! I think we are going to see the Hunger Games a lot this hop!! Love it!

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read Partials yet, but I have heard really good things! I will definitely have to pick it up some time soon =D

    Thanks for stopping by mine already!
    Old Follower
    Becky @ Book Bite Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Hunger Games would be a popular choice!! I'd like to check out The Partials - it looks like an interesting series!

    Thanks for stopping by - following via Bloglovin & Twitter :)

    Amy @ The Reading Realm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like Partials, but haven't read fragments yet...
    I went with The Torturer's Daughter

    Mei @ Diary of a Fair Weather Diver

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing a lot of Hunger Games! Never did read that one!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm already a Bloglovin follower! Lots of people chose The Hunger Games! I picked Game of Thrones, it's one of my all time favorite series in book, audio, and on HBO.

    Donna @ The Happy Booker

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have partials and Fragments. I need to read them!

    old follower
    Jen @ Library of a Book Witch

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good picks.Happy weekend :)

    follower

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/07/feature-and-follow-55.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hunger Games is a great choice, and I'm also a fan of Dan Wells (although I really love his John Wayne Cleaver books).

    New follower on Bloglovin.

    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Hunger Games has been on my TBR for so long now and I really want to see the movie but I have a thing were I have to read the book first LOL. Hope you have a great weekend!!!

    Traci @ Mad Hatter Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the first book in the Hunger Games trilogy, but it kind of went downhill from there for me. I'm really excited to read Partials, though!
    Now following via bloglovin!

    Here is my FF post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i almost went with hunger games myself. but i ended up going with harry potter. haven't read partials yet though but i'm hoping to pick it up.

    old follower.

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Hunger Games!! I love, love, love this series. Great choice.

    Here is my FF http://between-my-lines.blogspot.gr/2013/07/feature-and-follow-17-books-and-wars.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm super excited for the Catching Fire movie as well! It's going to be absolutely amazing. :) I actually have a copy of Partials though I haven't read it yet! I'm a new Bloglovin' follower. :)
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good choice.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/feature-follow.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Old follower hopping through! I enjoyed the first two books, need to read the third and watch the movie!

    Have a great weekend!

    Julie @ Full Moon Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great FF post! Hunger Games and Partials are two great picks!!!
    -Scott Reads It!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I picked these books too, well THG! Glad to see it get so much love this week!

    I'm awesome and stopped by both your posts! Bonus points to me!

    Here's my FF

    Amber @Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Hunger Games is a great choice!
    Thanks for stopping by my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Lol Videos, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited. Visit the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Epic Videos, Prank Videos, Fail Videos and Much More Fun and Entertainment
    lolsgag.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Earn Money Launch a New Earning System on Facebook, the best Social Media Website where you can share some fun and earn with us, Share some pictures on Facebook and earn on every pictures you post or share. Unlimited Facebook Wall Sharing and Unlimited Earning.
    Earn with Making Facebook Ids, Make Unlimited Facebook Ids and Get 10$ on Every FB Id.
    jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete